Beginner gear necessities advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
970A1B95-8048-4256-AC3C-A8FBADE5EA61.jpeg

If you guys/ gals would be so kind as to recommend me some beginner necessities when going off-road. I’m completely new to the world of off-roading and would like to be prepared for small adventures. Mainly day trips for now and mostly easy trails with the family. I’ve seen a couple of YouTube videos, but they can be a bit over the top (Jeep guys lol).

Just get some basic stuff. A tow strap, high lift Jack, shovel and a few D ring shackles etc …. Mainly stuff to pull you out if you were to get stuck or help another person. The pic you posted is at a beach, maybe some Air down/up things too…

sliders eventually too… Good Luck and get out there. 👍🏻

Just get some basic stuff. A tow strap, high lift Jack, shovel and a few D ring shackles etc …. Mainly stuff to pull you out if you were to get stuck or help another person. The pic you posted is at a beach, maybe some Air down/up things too…

sliders eventually too… Good Luck and get out there. 👍🏻

Pismo Beach out here in CA. I mostly stayed on the hard packed sand and didn’t air down. Probably a better idea to do it.

Find someone else to go with or tag along on a group run. After a while you'll find out what you need just by watching everyone else. Some stuff will be specific for the type of terrain you go on, whether it's rocks, snow, sand, etc,. Other items will depend on the type of trips you do, like day trips, multi-day or weeklong. But there are some items that are pretty universal

Some of the basic off-road (or even on-road) items would be

Air compressor - most come with a pressure gauge, but if not carry one. A cheap one will work, but if you plan on doing this long term a good compressor is worth the investment
Tow strap - or kinetic strap, but I've only used a tow strap and never really felt the need for anything else
Tire plug kit
Basic tools (depending on your capability) - The minimum would be some screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers
First aid kit (again according to your capability)

As you get more advanced you observe what everyone else is using and that will give you a good idea of what you need. A lot of the stuff you'll see isn't necessary, but does make life more convenient and the trip more enjoyable.

Last edited:
#1---Good tires-your choice of tread-road, all-terrain, mud-terrain, etc. At least Load Range C (6-ply equivalent), Including the spare.

What @ducktapeguy said. Find others to go with and learn from them. Find a local TLCA chapter or other 4WD club and get to know them. The last thing you want is to be the "new guy / gal" that goes out alone and gets stuck with no way to self recover. I have learned everything I know from members of a few different clubs.

Find someone else to go with or tag along on a group run. After a while you'll find out what you need just by watching everyone else. Some stuff will be specific for the type of terrain you go on, whether it's rocks, snow, sand, etc,. Other items will depend on the type of trips you do, like day trips, multi-day or weeklong. But there are some items that are pretty universal

Some of the basic off-road (or even on-road) items would be

Air compressor - most come with a pressure gauge, but if not carry one. A cheap one will work, but if you plan on doing this long term a good compressor is worth the investment
Tow strap - or kinetic strap, but I've only used a tow strap and never really felt the need for anything else
Tire plug kit
Basic tools (depending on your capability) - The minimum would be some screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers
First aid kit (again according to your capability)

As you get more advanced you observe what everyone else is using and that will give you a good idea of what you need. A lot of the stuff you'll see isn't necessary, but does make life more convenient and the trip more enjoyable.
Ok, along the line of what I had in mind. Realistically for me, I'll be doing mostly fire roads with the fam, might go wheeling occasionally with some coworkers here and there.

Add stuff as needed my first two priorities would be good quality tires, air down/up gear and recovery gear.👍🇺🇸

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom