Becoming Untimed!?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

UltraFJ40

ที่นี่และมี
SILVER Star
Threads
I recently bought a timing light in order to get my FJ 40 timed accurately after installing an HEI by Davis Unified. I was having a B%$#* of a time trying to get it right. Well, I bought the timing light and had it set perfectly (no sputtering or backfiring). Yes, the white timing mark appeared in the window each time the light went off on the gun. It even idled for a short period of time afterward (2 secs or so) After running my battery down during this process, I decided to charge it and return to a smooth running Pig later. I removed the timing light and allowed the battery to charge.

After a few hours, I tried cranking it and had no luck. Dumbfounded I put the timing light back on it and it was no where close to where it should be (way out).

My question is this, " Have any of you had trouble or experience with the timing gear skipping or just plain falling out of time?"

I'm completely lost here and have no other ideas except for the timing gear. Thinking "Maybe thats the reason it was a bi-zitch to time in the first place."

Thanks for any ideas,

Doug M.

dont know much bout these ngines but isnt it physically impossible for the timing to fall out of place? Im lookin at the book now and see that you have to pull the distrbutor out to change things other that adjusting the dist. maybe its inside the new dist? somethin loose in there? or maybe you might have hooked up to the wrong plug wire? I do it all the time, i mean alll the time.

btw how does it crank? wouldnt there be no advance until a little over idle rpm? I never tried the timing light while crankin but if it works whil crankin then i would think that the timing would be off because of the no ....dude never mind I dont know what the hell im talkin bout. sorry man

The engine can not skip a toothe ect. IT has timing gears. The gears and get destroyed but then the entite cam wouldn't turn, so no gas and no distributor.

DId you put the distributor in correctly? ie did you follow the FSM for installing the distributor?

The other thing is it soundes like your is either no good or you need a new alternator if you battery is not chargine(or was this cause you were cranking the truck and it wasn't running?

I believe that the truck needs to be running in order for you to get an acruate meausre of the timing. IE you can't just crank the engine over and time it. ALso make sure that once you have it timed correctly to tighten the distributor.

Also you need to be about 7degress advanced on the distributor. I bumped mine up to 10 and it runs great.

HTH

Stew

I do wonder if you didn't get it all the way down into it's hole. I've seen that happen before :-[. (And yes, they can run, roughly, that way).

A good way to explain to your wife why you need a 350! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom