BEBs on 1HD-FT ??????? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
From what I read here and on 80sCool, faulty big end bearings are definitely a problem on 1HD-T (12 valve) engines. The question: does the 1HD-FT (24 valve) have the same problem??? Mine's a late 97 HDJ 80.

Some seem to think that only the early 1HD-T s were concerned, some say all 1HD-T s are at risk, some seem to include 1HD-FTs as well. Can someone confirm?:confused:

Ive heard the same thing but maybe I read the same thing as you.

There was never any conclusive proof as to what caused it,so we dont really know how they fixed it.
It was blamed on bad bearings ,bad crankshafts,bad machining and of course bad owners;)

My guess is that if you drive hard and skip oil changes then you run a risk, but not at the same rate as the earlier models.

I have an early'98 (97 build) HDJ80 with the 1HD-FT engine.I checked the BEB's after reading of the "problem" and found #6 bearing to be showing signs of the pitting/de-laminating.Wasn't too serious but it was there.The rest were OK showing only normal wear but I renewed the lot along with new bolts.Other cases of BEB faliure in the 1HD-FT have been documented.

Thanks for your replies :) Well, the conclusion seems to be that I need to start ordering the bits and pieces and read up on the FSM. I have never worked on the engine before - is there anything in particular I should be on a lookout for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom