Battery drain: 500mA current draw from AM1 fuse (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks.

I provided readings with alt disconnected also as described above.

I cannot get a resistance reading in the forward position.

The full drain is showing through the charge lead at 500mA. I guess this was already confirmed earlier when I ran the ammeter through -ve battery and removed charge leads.

I can confirm that there is no current drain when the 3 pin plug is removed, but the charge leads remain.

Is the S pin meant to provide constant voltage to the reg even when key is off?

I would have thought if the reverse direction resistance test came in at 125 000ohms, then a diode would not be the problem?

George - no auto electrician in my town.

Dave

Well, given the parasitic current issue occurs when you connect the alternator, there IS something wrong with it or the regulator. Testing diodes is best done with the diode position on a multimeter since it applies a voltage that should turn on a diode (diodes have a forward voltage drop).

Not sure on the toyota and your aftermarket alternator, there's usually 6 diodes for the 3 phase windings to create DC (pseudo DC) from the AC. There's also usually a diode trio that provides voltage to the regulator and warning light circuit.

Time to move to a bigger town :) Oh, it wouldn't hurt to add your vehicle specifics, location etc into your signature and profile...

cheers,
george.

Meter in Diode mode:

OEM alt (no drain when last removed)
Black probe stud/red probe case = 0.501 (no short or open circuit)
Reverse configuration = 1 (diode good)

NEW SBC ALT
Black probe stud/red probe case = 0.410 (no short or open circuit)
Reverse configuration = 1 (diode good)

As previously advised, diodes are 12x sanken 40amp after market unit.

Can anyone advise if terminal S on 3 pin plug should have constant power with key off?

Last edited:
Well, on a petrol 80, the S pin connects directly to 12V via fuse AM1 and fusible link AM1.

Well, if you can pull the diode 'pack' out of the alternator, check each one individually.

cheers,
george.

I reckon it is as simple as the adaptor lead being assembled in the incorrect configuration, with the S sensor on the factory loom wire feeding the excitor on the reg while the car is off.

I don't have a schematic of the new alt, but I reckon that is it.

For those interested, this turned out to be the issue. The adaptor plug was shipped in the wrong configuration.

Five minute fix after days of chasing my tail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom