Bao-Feng UV-5R 3rd Gen question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Honestly I don't know.
My original band plan was based off some chart I downloaded that outlined repeater frequencies. Since 146.460 was a defacto LC chat freq and was being used by the Rising Sun LC club for Cruise Moab management, I figured it would be a good choice for the GCLC management frequency.
Unfortunately, during our 2014 July event I was interrupted over the air by some folks who manage a repeater who's RX was 146.460. According to repeaterbook.com, there are 5 repeaters in PA with an RX of 146.460.
I then revised my band plan according to repeaterbook.com and moved the GCLC management frequency to 147.460, and cross checked the other 17 simplex frequencies we use for CMCC trail rides.
It took a bit of time, but they all should still be clean.

After my post I went and looked at the ARRL site for the 2 meter band plan and saw this note on the bottom which would enplane the repeater output of 146.60 in your area.

upload_2018-12-17_15-18-24.png

No you will be fine. It is mostly about sales of radios that can transmit out of band. If you have a licence and use them only on the Ham band the FCC will not come after you. There is plenty of low hanging fruit if they want to start enforcement just going after unlicensed or malicious users would keep them busy for years.

Here is what the FCC says: https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-18-980A1.pdf
Seems that they make it very clear that you can't use those radios even on the Ham bands with a license.

Here is what the FCC says: https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-18-980A1.pdf
Seems that they make it very clear that you can't use those radios even on the Ham bands with a license.

You are correct. What I was getting at is with thousands of these radios already in the US unless you operate outside the band or do something else illegal the FCC will not even know or care.

Amateur Radio Exception. There is one exception to this certification requirement: if a device is capable of operating only on frequencies that the FCC has allocated for use by Amateur Radio Service licensees, it does not require FCC equipment authorization,8 and an amateur licensee may use his or her license to operate such radios. However, many two-way radios that purport to operate on amateur frequencies also operate on frequencies that extend beyond the designated amateur frequency bands.9 If a two-way VHF/UHF radio is capable of operating outside of the amateur frequency bands, it cannot be imported, advertised, sold, or operated within the United States without an FCC equipment certification.10 Even if a two-way VHF/UHF radio operates solely within the amateur frequencies, the operator is required to have an amateur license to operate the device and must otherwise comply with all applicable rules.11 The Bureau will take very seriously any reports of failures of two-way radio operators to comply with all relevant rules and requirements when using devices in the amateur bands

You are correct. What I was getting at is with thousands of these radios already in the US unless you operate outside the band or do something else illegal the FCC will not even know or care.

Indeed, they may not know. But they apparently do care enough to put out a bulletin about it.

...But they apparently do care enough to put out a bulletin about it.
Because that's easier than getting the ChiComm vendors to comply with US rules.

Anyways, if the FCC does indeed take such a dim view on those $25 radios, why do they not go after those that import those radios? That ought to be much easier (in fact, a couple of searches on Amazon ought to do it...) than to try and figure out whether a licensed HAM out there somewhere uses a non-certified radio in an otherwise legal use of the HAM frequencies. And going after those that import those radios without certifying them would yield a much bigger bang for the buck... but that means going are Amazon.com, no?

snip

Anyways, if the FCC does indeed take such a dim view on those $25 radios, why do they not go after those that import those radios? That ought to be much easier (in fact, a couple of searches on Amazon ought to do it...) than to try and figure out whether a licensed HAM out there somewhere uses a non-certified radio in an otherwise legal use of the HAM frequencies. And going after those that import those radios without certifying them would yield a much bigger bang for the buck... but that means going are Amazon.com, no?

Well, the FCC says they can fine the violators up to something like $20,000 / day. It remains to be seen whether they will actually enforce that, but I imagine the threat is enough that the availability of these uncomplying radios will likely slow to a trickle if not stop altogether. I doubt that they will hesitate much to levy at least some of the threatened fines, especially with tariffs being actively set on other chinese imports already, and with their needing to justify their existence, show backbone etc. I imagine Amazon will try to wiggle out of it by claiming that they are not a marketer but merely an online repository of information blah blah etc but that may only go so far. And the mainstream radio companies like Yaesu et al. who do restrict the bands per the law, will likely be strong encouragers of a crackdown.

Bottom line, seems possible if not likely that those radios will pretty much disappear from the market shortly and that you won't be able to use legally the ones you already have... Now, I'm sure there are people out there using ham radios without license so they probably won't give a hoot, and there are likely some hams who don't hesitate to go out of ham bands too, but anybody who wants to do this legally may want to look into all this if they have radios like those in question.

I would be willing to bet that the UV5R and all it's other iterations will be around for a while.
Again, if the FCC is not going after the manufacturer, the importer, or the distributor, it is not logical to assume they will go after the end user.
That is simply not practical from any standpoint.

Unless the FCC stops the import they will not go away. I have seen several threads on here from people who use ham radio without a licence now and have no plan to ever take the test because they know they will not get caught. Do you think they will stop using the $25 radios because the FCC tells them not to. Obviously the FCC does not even enforce the licence policy so no change just words.

There is a company who will remain unnamed that sells commercial band radios to the offroad community and when I sent them an emails asking if a commercial licence isn't needed to operate these radios they told me yes but nobody does and you will never get caught. This is a company that has been featured on television and has sponsored several events.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom