Bad mult-function display in an '04 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wife calls me today and tells me that she is getting the dreaded "check System", and "External System Not Connected" message on the display. By pressing buttons, she got it to eventually respond, but every time you restart the rig, it reoccurs.

The worse part about this is that when it's malfunctioning, the climate control is disabled, and we're set to getting single digit temps around here.

I have 43K miles on her, which puts it out of the factory warranty, but thankfully I purchased the extended warranty. Call the dealer and he knew what it was about. Told us to bring it in so that they could "check the connections". When my wife got there, he had already contacted the warranty company and got everything approved. He looked at it, but said he knew it wasn't the connections. He's seen a few of these already and each time the connections weren't the problem.

It was 8:30pm when my wife got there (I had to take my son to his hockey game), so it was too late to order one tonight, but he said he would do it tomorrow or Monday.

He told me that I was fortunate that I bought the warranty. Parts and labor would have cost me at least $1,000 MORE than what I paid for the warranty. So it looks like I came out ahead with purchasing the warranty.

He even printed a copy of the TSB and gave it to me, even though he told me he wasn't supposed to.

The TSB stated that this problem occurs with LCs, Highlanders, and the Prius. It went on to say that they have redesigned the unit to resolve the problem. It didn't mention the LX, but it's the same unit so I assume that they are affected as well.

Quite honestly, I'm a little disappointed that a $50k+ vehicle could have costed me $2k-$3k in repairs with only 43K miles on it if I hadn't purchased the extended warranty.

The upside is that my wife said that the dservice manager was awesome, let's just hope that it limps along with this cold snap until the new unit comes in.

Gohawks63 said:
My wife calls me today and tells me that she is getting the dreaded "check System", and "External System Not Connected" message on the display. By pressing buttons, she got it to eventually respond, but every time you restart the rig, it reoccurs.

The worse part about this is that when it's malfunctioning, the climate control is disabled, and we're set to getting single digit temps around here.

I have 43K miles on her, which puts it out of the factory warranty, but thankfully I purchased the extended warranty. Call the dealer and he knew what it was about. Told us to bring it in so that they could "check the connections". When my wife got there, he had already contacted the warranty company and got everything approved. He looked at it, but said he knew it wasn't the connections. He's seen a few of these already and each time the connections weren't the problem.

It was 8:30pm when my wife got there (I had to take my son to his hockey game), so it was too late to order one tonight, but he said he would do it tomorrow or Monday.

He told me that I was fortunate that I bought the warranty. Parts and labor would have cost me at least $1,000 MORE than what I paid for the warranty. So it looks like I came out ahead with purchasing the warranty.

He even printed a copy of the TSB and gave it to me, even though he told me he wasn't supposed to.

The TSB stated that this problem occurs with LCs, Highlanders, and the Prius. It went on to say that they have redesigned the unit to resolve the problem. It didn't mention the LX, but it's the same unit so I assume that they are affected as well.

Quite honestly, I'm a little disappointed that a $50k+ vehicle could have costed me $2k-$3k in repairs with only 43K miles on it if I hadn't purchased the extended warranty.

The upside is that my wife said that the dservice manager was awesome, let's just hope that it limps along with this cold snap until the new unit comes in.

I have an 04 that i just purchased and the same thing was occurring....they replaced the display per TSB and all is well....

isn't there an assumption that they would/might replace things free if they issue a TSB on it? at least some dealers would try to get Toy to pay for it.

e9999 said:
isn't there an assumption that they would/might replace things free if they issue a TSB on it? at least some dealers would try to get Toy to pay for it.

Well the TSB states that replacement is covered under the 3yr/36K mile warranty, and there was no mention of "good will" considerations for out of warranty claims.

So did the dealer give you more info on what specifically the problem is? Or maybe when it is likely to happen? Is it just replacing the screen? :confused: This worries me because I have the same vehicle!

Gene3x said:
So did the dealer give you more info on what specifically the problem is? Or maybe when it is likely to happen? Is it just replacing the screen? :confused: This worries me because I have the same vehicle!

The dealer didn't elaborate beyond what the TSB stated. I don't have the document in front of me, but I remember it stating that there was a problem with a couple of the terminals/pins on the connecter.

I'll post it verbatum when I get home.

The TSB does state that a "new unit was designed" to resolve the issue.

Again, the TSB specifically refers to the '04 model year not '05+, so I'm hoping that it truly has been identified and resolved.

TSB Info (EL0020-05)
January 10, 2005

Title: Multi-Display Functions are Inoperative
Models: '04 Highlander, Land Cruiser & Prius

Introduction: Some customers may experience various malfunctions with the multi-display. Some examples are:
* "Audio Off" is shown on audio screen while audio system is playing.
* Climate control is not responsive and may say "Check connection of the air conditioner."
* Map, Destination buttons are inoperative and may display "External System not connected."
* When pressing any button on the multi-display the system takes 5 to 10 seconds to respond to user's input.
* Outside air temperature is not displayed.

A revised multi-display has been developed to resolve these conditions.

Note: If the TX+ or TX- wires are loose at the multi-display, the same sysmptoms will occur. Please confirm that all connections at the multi-display are secure and that the pin fit of the TX+ and TX- wiring is good before ordering a replacement multi-display.

Applicable warranty: This repair is covered under the Toyota Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first, from the vehicles -n-service date.
Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint

Part information.
Prev. Part number: 86111-60180
Current Part number: Same
Model: Land Cruiser

Note: Multi-displays must be ordered through the exchange program

Repair procedure:
1. Check all the TX terminals on the multi-display connectors (it refers to diagrams which I obviosly don't have here) and confirm the terminals are fully seated. Replace any damaged terminals or connectors.
2. COnfirm the connectors to the multi-display are fully seated. Replace any damaged connectors.
3. If all the TX terminals are tight and the connectors are fully seated, replace the multi display.

Note:
* for Highlander......
* For Land Cruiser multi-diaply removal and replacement, refer to TIS, 2004 model year Land Cruiser manual: Body (Mechanical): Insturment Panel: removal
* For Prius....

The rest of the document contains diagrams of the connectors.

Thanks man. That may become very helpful in the future! I hope mine has already been replaced but you never know!

Update on this.

The service manager leaves me a message yesterday. He's been going back-and-forth with the warranty company. The WC wants a remanufactured unit used in the repair. The SM tells him that there aren't any out there (the TSB states that a redesigned unit is the fix). The WC then tells him that they want to repair the old unit. SM responds that repairing the old unit isn't feasible. Pulling out the old unit will essentially leave the vehicle unusable while the repair is taking place. Additionally, since the TSB states that a NEW unit has been designed, we're back to the fact that it may not be repairable. So, the SM says he's awaiting a call back from someone higher up in the food chain, and that he'll call me in a day or two.

This was last night. I got the call during a meeting, and by the time I got out, they were closed. I'm now getting a little pissed at the WC. So this morning I call the SM again. He tells me that he has good news, he just got off the phone with the WC, and they acknowledged that there aren't any remanufactured units out there to be had. Apparantly they were even looking for a Lexus branded unit as well since they are both the same.

Reluctantly, the WC company approved the order for a brand new system. Apparantly the reason why they've been reluctant is that a brand new system is $5,000!!!!!

The SM went on to say that they told him that they want to send an "inspector" out before they do the work to confirm that a repair is actually needed, so the SM has to coordinate that before the repairs are done.

I asked the SM if I needed to worry that they're gonna try to weasel out of this. He told me not to worry, he would fight it on my behalf, "Not gonna happen" were his words.

We'll see.....

Although I will state the the SM has been awesome throughout all of this.

What waranty company did you go with? Those losers will find any reason deny a claim! And they make more money than typical insurance companies per policy! Incentive not to buy a warranty!

Gene3x said:
What waranty company did you go with? Those losers will find any reason deny a claim! And they make more money than typical insurance companies per policy! Incentive not to buy a warranty!

I think I mentioned it earlier. I bought it from the finance guy when we bought our '04 new. It was the top of the line warranty. Not sure who underwrites it, but it is packaged as a Toyota/Lexus extended warranty sold through Toyota/lexus. All the documentation bears the Toyota letterhead.

As for your comment on not buying an extended warranty, while I may have gotten some minor hassles, I don't relish the fact that I could have been facing a $5k out-of-pocket repair bill on a 2yr old Land Cruiser with only 40K miles on it if I hadn't purchased the warranty.

2002 LC with the Toyota Gold warranty. Just had the TCase rebuilt because of the infamous vibrating Tcase. Car is under 60K so it was covered anyways, (powertrain coverage) but I'm sure it would have been costly out of warranty. I've learned to do all the fluids and stuff myself to save a little. Hope anything major goes during the warranty period ending 2008 or 100k ....good luck!

Toj

The "infamous vibrating Tcase"? I have never heard anything similar to this in all the threads I have read though on here. I have read alot of them! This is a common problem? Can you direct me to a thread? Prevention ect....???

Update on this. We're now closing in on two weeks since the problem first surfaced.

Dealer ordered the part, but now is waiting on the warranty company to send an inspector it verify that the part is actually malfunctioning.

Dropped off the truck and they gave me a Camry loaner.

The service manager had the receipt for the part sitting at the desk. Price was $4,800!!!!! Thank God I bought the extended warranty.

If the "inspector" get's his ass out there this afternoon, there's a chance I might get it back today, but in reality I'm not expecting anything before tomorrow at the earliest.

According to the SM, he said it's typical for the warranty company to send someone out for a repair that is this expensive.

Final update (hopefully).

Inspector looked at the truck, and then looked at the SM straight in the eye and said, "it's broke" (No Sh!t?!).

The good news is that everything got approved. Picked it up last night. The SM mentioned that I may lose all of the destinations I had stored in the NAVI (I have quite a few), but they were unaffected. The only thing I needed to do was re-add my phone (Bluetooth) into the system. As I mentioned earlier, the final repair bill was near $5,000.

Hopefully that's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom