Baby on the way-DIY motion & sound monitor ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok guys, monitors at baby r us look cheaply made anybody recommend a DIY setup?
I have both Macs and PC's, Ideally I would like to monitor motion and sound, be able to view or get alerted on both systems or even on my ipad or itouch. I might be over thinking this but the high-end baby monitors are close to $200, I figured I could get software, camera and mic for just a little more and be able to reuse the hardware later on.

your thoughts?

We have used the cheap looking ones for years, they worked fine. (Many nights I wished they didn’t). I’m pretty sure we have one around here that I can talk my wife into parting with if you want to try it out before investing in the mother of all monitors. Also, we promised a lot of baby items, like a crib, highchair and pack-and-play to a friend who has never picked them up. If you would like I can call him up and see if he is ready to either take them or let me pass them on. Good luck.
First child?

Best thing we ever did was throw all that crap in the trash. Everyone sleeps through the night when we stopped rushing in for every fart of the baby. Congrats! Good luck!

Best thing we ever did was throw all that crap in the trash. Everyone sleeps through the night when we stopped rushing in for every fart of the baby. Congrats! Good luck!

It may sound harsh to a new parent but theres something to be said for that. The infant will learn real quick that noise means a visit.

Dont ever, ever, bring them into bed with you! Big mistake - it will take a decade to get past the "ok, Ill lay with you/you can lay in here just for a minute till you go to sleep" routine just so you can try to get some sacred sleep. The few minutes turns into a few hours.

Dont ever, ever, bring them into bed with you! Big mistake - it will take a decade to get past the "ok, Ill lay with you/you can lay in here just for a minute till you go to sleep" routine just so you can try to get some sacred sleep. The few minutes turns into a few hours.

Words of wisdom if I ever heard them.

Hahah this is great! Thanks for the advice and yes this our first.

I bought a $30 camera from Costco. It has sound, is in color, and has night vision. The camera was mounted next to the ceiling facing down on the crib. The camera base had a long whip on it and I ran that thru the attic and down the wall and comes out where my TV is. With it plugged into the back, I was able to flip over to the aux and see and hear the kids. Worked great too, because it seemed like our kids would wake up easily if the door was opened to check on them.
4.jpg

Shannon's got that whole "secret camera spying on little kids" thing down pat. All those years in the Catholic church were only a precursor for the real attrocities.

S&S... Let em be brother. Those monitors only make your life hell. None of our parents used em and we all turned out alright... well, except for Shannon, a monitor might have actually saved him from his nightmare.

you're a douche.

It may sound harsh to a new parent but theres something to be said for that. The infant will learn real quick that noise means a visit.

depends on how you feed 'em I guess. My wife nursed ours, and by putting them in our bed until they slept through the night, they never fully woke up for nighttime feedings. For our first one, she was in a crib down the hall for a few weeks. By the time she woke up, realized she was hungry, cried, and by the time we heard it and woke up, she was fully alert and pissed. Took much longer to feed and get her back to sleep. You just gotta be disciiplined about when they go to their own bed, and that it's a one-way trip...

Mr. No Discipline here! Listen to these other well edumacated folks, not me! Of my kids, ages 7, 7, 5, 2, the 2 year old pretty much still sleeps with my wife and I full time, with the 5 year old in with us 3 or 4 days a week and the seven year olds down to 1 or 2 nights a week. If I want sleep I go camping.

... The infant will learn real quick that noise means a visit. ...

I think technology can help. Get one of those bark/shock collars, any noise gets a good zap, wont take long for them to learn to STFU! It's possible that this is just one of the reasons that most recommended against and are happy I never did breed ,,, maybe?:hillbilly:

Just because you don't admit Shannon is your son doesn't mean you never bred.

Just because you don't admit Shannon is your son doesn't mean you never bred.

Im shocked :eek::censor:! almost as much as when I found out about the whole DarthVader/Luke Skywalker father-son expose'

All you guys tooo funny! Keep it coming. My wife is laughing that i go to the mud for this type of advice!

I thought you were o.k. now with tellin everyone pa?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom