Axle - Gears - Lockers GX470 Upgrade Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just to clarify…

You have a GX470 non-KDSS

Upgraded to 8.2” elocked rear axle from a 5th Gen with KDSS

The only thing that didn’t bolt up was the GX470 rear sway bar due to missing mount points

Did I get that wrong?
That's all correct. Couldn't find a reasonably priced elocked non-KDSS 8.2, so I jumped on this one and it all worked out perfectly, minus the sway bar. Just have to remeber that the rear rotor center bore is slightly different too, so I'll be using 5th gen rotors from now on.

That's all correct. Couldn't find a reasonably priced elocked non-KDSS 8.2, so I jumped on this one and it all worked out perfectly, minus the sway bar. Just have to remeber that the rear rotor center bore is slightly different too, so I'll be using 5th gen rotors from now on.
That’s great, so basically 5th Gen. Rotors going forward and add sway bar mounts are the two changes. That’s not bad.

Well after starting this thread back in 2018 I did nothing, I did not service for Pre-Load nor did I upgrade. This past Saturday I did Gold Mtn. In Big Bear and damn did that trail change since I last did it 8 or so years ago!
Well it’s official I have joined the busted ring & pinion club!

IMG_8572.jpeg

IMG_8574.jpeg

Well after starting this thread back in 2018 I did nothing, I did not service for Pre-Load nor did I upgrade. This past Saturday I did Gold Mtn. In Big Bear and damn did that trail change since I last did it 8 or so years ago!

View attachment 3453635

View attachment 3453637
RIP r&p. What's your plan now that it finally happened?

With the price of used 8.2 lately I would buy a new housing.
Reuse your axle and bearing
Buy the cheapest 8.2 open third member / axle carrier. Send it to ECGS for regear and locker.

With the price of used 8.2 lately I would buy a new housing.
Reuse your axle and bearing
Buy the cheapest 8.2 open third member / axle carrier. Send it to ECGS for regear and locker.
Agreed, a new OEM 8.2 housing is around $1K at my local Toyota dealer.

RIP r&p. What's your plan now that it finally happened?
Just going to stick with my stock axle, just bought new R&P, seals, and straight pinion sleeve. I don’t want to go to 35’s and I don’t enjoy bashing my rig on the rocks so hopefully will get another 188k miles out of this next set.

Regarding the 8.2, it looks like the OEM strengthened/gusseted axle housing available in Australia (see this thread) may also available in the USA for Mexico-spec FJ Cruisers. I put the part number into my local Toyota dealer's website and it shows this housing is available for $1,068. However I'm not 100% sure on this and am presuming it is the gusseted housing based on some photographs from other websites (also linked below), so this would need to be verified (probably by calling a Toyota dealer - unless another forum member can verify this). This is the non-elocked housing (4211060A91), per the other thread on this the elocked housing part number is 4211060B31.

I'm a few months off from this upgrade, but this is encouraging. I had located a OEM e-locked 8.2 from a rolled 4Runner locally at a great price, but the seller backed out at the last minute. I'll likely go this route with a used 8.2 3rd member when I upgrade.

The trussed rear axle housing was discussed in this thread. It can be purchased from partsoug.

The trussed rear axle housing was discussed in this thread. It can be purchased from partsoug.
True, however there is always a risk of shipping damage for something big like a housing when it is coming from 10,000 miles away. It's about the same price with shipping on Partsouq as my local dealer, so if they can actually get it I'll likely go that route. I have ordered lots of small stuff from Partsouq and have been really happy with them so far.

@Rednexus did you do this upgrade yet?
Delayed til 2025 due to funding, unfortunately :).

I did confirm with my local Toyota dealer that they can order the trussed rear axle, however. They confirmed there was at least one in stock at a Toyota warehouse in CA.

Need a little help with a rear locker install issue. I found a locker in decent condition from an FJ cruiser. Got the Dark Illusions harness. Verified that the actuator easily moved the locking mechanism before having a reputable shop in Denver install the locker. Picking it up this morning - he says they got it all installed, but they can't get the locker to engage. Ideas on what would prevent the locker from engaging if the actuator works? Or what can I try to get it to engage? Thanks in advance!

Need a little help with a rear locker install issue. I found a locker in decent condition from an FJ cruiser. Got the Dark Illusions harness. Verified that the actuator easily moved the locking mechanism before having a reputable shop in Denver install the locker. Picking it up this morning - he says they got it all installed, but they can't get the locker to engage. Ideas on what would prevent the locker from engaging if the actuator works? Or what can I try to get it to engage? Thanks in advance!
I'd reach out to Dark Illusions for some support and to make sure the harness they sent is compatible with the year locker you have. I went with the low range offroad harness and have had no issues with it paired to a 2014 4runner locker.

I'd reach out to Dark Illusions for some support and to make sure the harness they sent is compatible with the year locker you have. I went with the low range offroad harness and have had no issues with it paired to a 2014 4runner locker.
Switch definitely worked. They had some bad wiring and then when I got it on gravel and tried it again it clicked right in. Works now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom