Autometer oil pressure gauge sender! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just a heads up on autometer gauge senders. I really like my digital autometer oil pressure gauge, but my last sender only lasted 100,000km. For the prices they charge, would have thought it would have lasted longer.

My oil pressure psi numbers were dancing about which is not a nice feeling, pulled over, luckily I have a mechanical gauge in the engine bay which was stable to verify, and then turned off to check oil level dip stick.

If your oil gauge is erratic, very likely the sender. I don't take much notice of the factory oil gauge, rarely moves, only as back up.

Just a heads up on autometer gauge senders. I really like my digital autometer oil pressure gauge, but my last sender only lasted 100,000km. For the prices they charge, would have thought it would have lasted longer.

My oil pressure psi numbers were dancing about which is not a nice feeling, pulled over, luckily I have a mechanical gauge in the engine bay which was stable to verify, and then turned off to check oil level dip stick.

If your oil gauge is erratic, very likely the sender. I don't take much notice of the factory oil gauge, rarely moves, only as back up.

1659263158238.gif

yes, that is what they all use to be! has oil or no oil.
pedantic pussy I am..like me bells and whistles

i know auto meter makes some real crap now for sure ........

why not use your OEM gauges ?

i know auto meter makes some real crap now for sure ........

why not use your OEM gauges ?
Oh I do still have the oem gauges, they don't move much. Never over halfway for oil or temp, that would worry me.

The two aftermarket gauges for me are oil pressure and temp.
Got paranoid and obsessive upon building too high an oil pressure on the 2h from nightmare stories of the relief valve getting stuck, so put a marshall mechanical oil pressure gauge in the bay and matched it with the autometer digital on dash (along with a long valve upgrade and spring trim). The digital pressure is good to watch when the engine is cold, warmed up, cruising on the freeway, towing heavy in the bush and idling. It reassures me. The gauge is good, just the sender didn't last long by my reckoning.

At 72psi on autometer the oem gauge is about 1/4 or lower, so either the oem gauge is expedential in measurement and gets higher on the gauge only when the pressure is really high and suddenly pops the filter. But maybe my oem gauge is just old at 34 years. I got the autometer before prices went crazy from covid.

The temp gauge is an aussie watch dog engine guard. It is a thermocouple which bolts to the head. Love it as it tells you when the thermostat should be opening , or heaven forbid over heat towing heavy loads uphill, idling in traffic. Not comfortable going over 90c myself. Also use it to warm up and consider driving off gently over 40-50c or wait until over 60c to go up hill. Can watch the temp warm from the kitchen window in the morning. Happy operating temp can be between 62-86c for me, the oem gauge does not move much in this realm.

The oem temp gauge can short with the fuel gauge sharing the same earth so both can rise without warning. Temp gauge rising quickly is not a nice feeling. Even after cleaning them. Don't mind extra fuel magically appearing tho!
The thermocouple is a separate wire so stands alone.

Just really like it when the numbers are stable and predictable.

Oh I do still have the oem gauges, they don't move much. Never over halfway for oil or temp, that would worry me.

The two aftermarket gauges for me are oil pressure and temp.
Got paranoid and obsessive upon building too high an oil pressure on the 2h from nightmare stories of the relief valve getting stuck, so put a marshall mechanical oil pressure gauge in the bay and matched it with the autometer digital on dash (along with a long valve upgrade and spring trim). The digital pressure is good to watch when the engine is cold, warmed up, cruising on the freeway, towing heavy in the bush and idling. It reassures me. The gauge is good, just the sender didn't last long by my reckoning.

At 72psi on autometer the oem gauge is about 1/4 or lower, so either the oem gauge is expedential in measurement and gets higher on the gauge only when the pressure is really high and suddenly pops the filter. But maybe my oem gauge is just old at 34 years. I got the autometer before prices went crazy from covid.

The temp gauge is an aussie watch dog engine guard. It is a thermocouple which bolts to the head. Love it as it tells you when the thermostat should be opening , or heaven forbid over heat towing heavy loads uphill, idling in traffic. Not comfortable going over 90c myself. Also use it to warm up and consider driving off gently over 40-50c or wait until over 60c to go up hill. Can watch the temp warm from the kitchen window in the morning. Happy operating temp can be between 62-86c for me, the oem gauge does not move much in this realm.

The oem temp gauge can short with the fuel gauge sharing the same earth so both can rise without warning. Temp gauge rising quickly is not a nice feeling. Even after cleaning them. Don't mind extra fuel magically appearing tho!
The thermocouple is a separate wire so stands alone.

Just really like it when the numbers are stable and predictable.

i understand

i have oil pressure sender T splitters , so u CAN still use BOTH gauges

oil wise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom