Automatic transmission question

Hello,
Following the change in temperature the past month (in Texas, so from mid 90s to lower 40s at night upper sixties during the day), the transmission in my 62 has started to have problems until warmed up. It won't shift out of first until 2500-3000 rpms and sometimes doesn't shift at all. Once the temperature is about mid-gauge, it shifts fine.

Any thoughts on what is wrong? Is this a sign it will need to be re-built in the near future?

Thanks.

I had the same problem, changed the tranny filter and that seemed to fix it. The filter is like a metal mesh so you could just clean it and replace the gasket. Its an easy job, just drop the tranny pan and there it is.

Get on the 3fe Yahoo list. Rodney in Australia can talk you through any transmission woes.

Try Hildy's suggestion plus replace all of the tranny fluid if that hasn't been done during the time you've had the truck. In the meantime, put the shifter into second gear to at least get it out of first gear while things are warming up even at stopsigns and lights. It'll help the tranny fluid warm up more quickly and not cause any problems for the transmission. Witchcock's suggestion is a good one too.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to try to take more of a look at it this weekend.

Luker,
I would suspect your fluid level is too high. With colder temps the fluid is thicker and slower moving. Check the fluid when the tranny is at temp and make sure it falls within the range.

Mark

I also would make sure your kick down cable TV BODY is sticking. This happend to me and I took it out clean ed it up real good put in a new kick down cable in and works great. That was about 40,000 mi. ago.

re: Automatic Trans question

89 fj62 148k
Same thing here. It started acting up like that recently. I haven't been driving it much lately and parking outside. After searching this bbs all signs pointed to the kick down cable.
Took it to B&B in So. SF and had them check it out.
Found it to be worn out and sticking. Now my gas pedal only needs a feather touch. Shifts like never before! My pedal has always been so stiff I get a cramp in my calf on long drives. I've had mine for the past five years, and the gas pedal has always been pretty stiff. It's about time I replaced it. $60 part.
Good luck.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cabrito/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom