Auto tranny PTO operation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1 ton 4x4 with a th400, np205, and a pto winch. My problem is the only way to stop to winch operation after it is engaged is to cut the truck off. Here is the situation: I engage the winch, I engage the pto, then i pull the tranny into reverse, this lets the winch out. Now when i decide i have let out enough cable if i try to put the truck in park to stop the pto operation it make a god awful grinding sound. And if you put the truck in neutral without a load on the cable it will winch cable in. The same happens when i am winching in with the truck in neutral (without a load) or drive, (With a load)

Is there any other way to stop the pto operation without cutting the truck off?

No, you can't disengage the pto or the winch with the truck still running

I am thinking that this is just one of the drawbacks to running a pto setup with an auto tranny.

Anybody have any real world experience with a problem like this?

I know this question was posed a LONG time ago, but I'm wondering the same thing. I'm considering running a PTO winch on a FJ62 drivetrain and am imagining the same problems you described above.

Can anyone talk to this?
Is the solution to keep the transfer engaged so that when you put the tranny in neutral the PTO stops turning?

I have the same basic set-up as you (T350 + 205) minus the PTO. The grinding noise you're hearing is likely the pawl on the park setting trying to engage to lock up the tranny. With the transfer case in neutral you'd be spinning the transmission gears (even at idle rpm) but have no way to apply the brakes and slow down the spinning transmission innards to get it back into park thus you are having to shut off the engine so that the transmission internals slow to a stop.

What I don't have an answer for is how, with the transmission in neutral, you have any cable movement as no rpms should be making it to the transfer case to reel it in!?! Have you tried shifting the trans from reverse to neutral and then quickly shifting the T-case to High/Lo 2 or 4 to stop the unwanted cable retraction thereby avoiding "Park" altogether? Is that what you mean by you can't disengage the pto or the winch with the truck still running? But you can engage them when the truck is on?

With automatic transmissions there's no clutch to manually control what's going on inside them. If I didn't have several spares (350/400s including spare adapters and 205s) I'd convert to a manual in a heartbeat. Hope this helps a little. If you find a solution please post up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom