Australian Title (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For the Aussies around here, or those who have imported from there...what documentation did you get when you purchase a car? Do you have traditional "certificate of titles" that show ownership of a vehicle? The used dealership I purchased from told me that the invoice shows I own the vehicle, and said there aren't titles per se, you just take the invoice to register the vehicle and you're done.

I was able to export and import the vehicle using the invoice, but the Nevada DMV isn't having any of it. They can't specify what I need because none of them know what the Australians use, but they are more than happy to decline to accept the invoice as proof that I own the vehicle. They are adamant there is some official document showing ownership of the vehicle, but can't specify what it is. This is after multiple trips to the DMV trying to fish for a different person, but always ending up speaking to the manager because no one knows how to deal with gray market vehicles at all.

Here is what the NV requirements are:
=======================================================

 All of the following documents are required to register and title a gray market vehicle:
o The foreign Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin, Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin or outstanding Certificate of Title; or
o A statement signed by the manufacturer indicating an MSO/MCO was never issued; or
o A statement from the manufacturer indicating to whom they assigned their interest in the vehicle; and
o Bills of sale to establish a complete chain of ownership

=======================================================

I don't have anything before the AND. What can I do? Is this just a state issue and I'll have to find somewhere else to title and license? I have residency in FL but I'd have to drive it all the way there to do it, assuming I won't run into the same issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Australia doesn't have titles. Use the last registration (or rego). You can have titles made for anything you want if you get stuck, but it's my experience that state DMV's recognize a rego as "proof of ownership" once they google it. Though I've not registered direct in Nevada, but other states that say the same thing have accepted registrations from Australia as "title".

I dont think I have the last rego. Is the old one necessary for getting a new rego or will they have it on file? Is it possible to register in Australia with the car being overseas?

In W.A. if you don't pay the rego, then your number plates need to be returned. Then you need to take the vehicle over the 'pits' (road worthy inspection) to re-register the vehicle and then you will get new number plates. That's after forking out a bunch of money...

The rego is the equivalent of the yearly tag you get in the US that you stick on your rear # plate. In W.A. there is no official 'rego' paper, what you get is a notice to pay your 3/6/12 month registration and you pay your $/$$/$$$ and that's it. No tag to stick on the plate, in fact nothing that shows the vehicle is actually currently registered. Years ago there was a decal type thing you stuck on the passenger side area of the windscreen down low in the corner. They got rid of that since police can just pull up your vehicle plate # to see if it has expired rego.

Not sure what the other states in Oz do, I presume something similar to W.A.

cheers,
george.

I dont think I have the last rego. Is the old one necessary for getting a new rego or will they have it on file? Is it possible to register in Australia with the car being overseas?

No, you won't be getting one. You can try filing for some kind of bonded or lost title, or hit us up at LCD and I can get a title for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom