Atomic Buffalo Turd Jalapeno Poppers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i AM MAKING THESE THIS AFTERNOON

Atomic Buffalo Turd Jalapeno Poppers (aka – A.B.T.)

Print
Prep time
20 mins
Cook time
3 hours
Total time
3 hours 20 mins

Author: Steve Cylka
Recipe type: Appetizer
Cuisine: Smoked
Serves: 20 ABTs
Ingredients
  • 10 jalapeno peppers
  • 10 bacon slices, cut in half
  • 10 mini sausages or smokies (or 20 if they are very small)
  • 1 cup cream cheese
  • 1 cup grated monterey jack
  • 1 tsp chipotle powder
  • 2 shallots, minced
Instructions
  1. Slice the jalapenos lengthwise. Using a spoon, remove the seeds and membrane. If using bell peppers, quarter them after they are seeded.
  2. Mix the cream cheese, monterey jack, chipotle powder and minced shallots. Fill the hollowed out portion of the peppers with the cheese mixture.
  3. Place the smokie on top of the cream cheese. Wrap the half slice of bacon around the jalapeno. If the bacon is not staying tightly wrapped, it may be necessary to use a toothpick to hold it in place.
  4. Smoke the ABTs in the smoker, set at 225F, for 2-3 hours, or until the bacon is browned
Notes
To cook on the grill: Cook on a medium heat grill until the jalapeno is tender and the bacon is browned. Keep the lid covered while cooking. To cook in the oven: Bake the ABT’s in the oven, set at 425F, for 20-30 minutes or until the bacon is browned.

we'll want pics!

Holy fxxx balls. these things are GREAT....

I cheated on the filling. I used some flavored cream cheese (chive and green onion) just put a spoon full of cheese and a layeer of hot pepper jack. It took a smokie and a half to fill up the boat..
IMG_0396.JPG
IMG_0397.JPG
IMG_0399.JPG
IMG_0397.JPG
IMG_0397.JPG
IMG_0396.JPG
IMG_0397.JPG
IMG_0399.JPG
IMG_0396.JPG
IMG_0397.JPG
IMG_0399.JPG
I also just cut a slice out of the top and left the stem to make a bigger deeper boat to hold the filling, so the ends were closed. held the cheese in nicely ans GOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDD

I have been making those for a few years now. I also slice the top half off a little high to make a deeper boat and chop the sliced off top to include in the filling with fresh garlic. I also parboil the jalapenos to soften them up a little and make them more family friendly. I put some of my rub in with the cream cheese filling and either put them in the smoker or the oven. If the bacon isn't quite crispy take your propane torch and finish it off. A dab of raspberry jam or raspberry jalapeno jam is a nice trick to add a little sweet to the savory. Looks good oh decavodent one. :beer:

I have been using that as a resource for a few years now. Jeff's rub is a great mix, I use it for everything. His newsletter is pretty good too.

I vote best cooking thread title ever.:lol::cheers:

I have been making those for a few years now. I also slice the top half off a little high to make a deeper boat and chop the sliced off top to include in the filling with fresh garlic. I also parboil the jalapenos to soften them up a little and make them more family friendly. I put some of my rub in with the cream cheese filling and either put them in the smoker or the oven. If the bacon isn't quite crispy take your propane torch and finish it off. A dab of raspberry jam or raspberry jalapeno jam is a nice trick to add a little sweet to the savory. Looks good oh decavodent one. :beer:
a dab of jam sound good... I like hot with sweet....

There's a cheap and dirty method. Custom equipment needed. Take a piece of sheet metal and drill ~1/2 in holes. Cut the caps off the peppers and hollow them out. Pack with cheese of your choice, wrap with bacon and secure with a toothpick. Perch them point down in the holes and grill until nicely browned.

There's a cheap and dirty method. Custom equipment needed. Take a piece of sheet metal and drill ~1/2 in holes. Cut the caps off the peppers and hollow them out. Pack with cheese of your choice, wrap with bacon and secure with a toothpick. Perch them point down in the holes and grill until nicely browned.

the smokie make this recipe

I saw a recipe where a guy put some pulled pork in instead of the Little Smoky. Haven't tried it because I like the little smoky one but an interesting variation.

they are well worth making..... I am going to do more this week. I am going to use turkey bacon as I should not be eating a pound of bacon a week

Thanks for the suggestions. I was looking for some sides to the ribeyes I'm grilling the coming weekend and these jalapeño with a little needed modifications seem to fit the bill.

I'm gonna be grilling them on charcoal so if anyone has suggestions I appreciate them.

Just make sure and parboil the jalapenos. And if they're done before the bacon is cooked finish it off with a propane torch

Just make sure and parboil the jalapenos. And if they're done before the bacon is cooked finish it off with a propane torch
Thanks. Made them last night. The were very tasty but very hot. The fact that I boiled them for 10 minutes didn't help much with that. I'll try longer for next time.
Ribeyes to the right, jalapeños to the left, all ready!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411741716.840826.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom