ATF “Exchange” (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

if you are sure it’s never been changed in 170K miles I wouldn’t do a flush. Just remove the amount that comes out from the drain plug (2.5 or 4 qts) and do that each time you do a oil change or less frequently to be on the safe side. Lots of info out there on why you shouldn’t flush a high mileage tranny and 170k is high mileage.

if you are sure it’s never been changed in 170K miles I wouldn’t do a flush. Just remove the amount that comes out from the drain plug (2.5 or 4 qts) and do that each time you do a oil change or less frequently to be on the safe side. Lots of info out there on why you shouldn’t flush a high mileage tranny and 170k is high mileage.

Is there a general consensus of what counts as "high mileage" for this?

As an example - I am at 137k, and ATF has never been done.

I love the idea of doing a full ATF replacement because so many here report good results - but this makes me nervous.

I am interested in doing something with the fluid because when cold it downshifts hard for the first mile or so. And, every so often it hangs in 4th until I reduce the throttle slightly and it shifts into 5th. The 4th-5th isnt consistent or repeatable and only happens on occasion. The PO did some towing as I found an old Reese pigtail that would have gone to a brake controller (which was removed).

Is there a general consensus of what counts as "high mileage" for this?

As an example - I am at 137k, and ATF has never been done.

I love the idea of doing a full ATF replacement because so many here report good results - but this makes me nervous.

meh, just do a drain and fill and be done with it... then do it again 30k after. One theory of why you dont want to do a full exchange is because (per some mechanics if the fluid is black/super dark) you will remove too much existing clutch material that has been embedded in the fluid which can cause slippage later on... hence why people say to remove some rather than all at once... of course this is what the mechanics said rather than the lube engineers that designed/tested these fluids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom