At dealer - need help!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I suspect if yours used to “blink” on startup and they stopped, then there is an AFS/auto leveling issue. The blink is a self test. On my GS one of my auto leveling motors died due to water ingress, and they stopped doing the self test. I’d have them do a scan in Techstream. And to add a data point my 2011 LX with AFS does the self test.

Tks for the info.

They did a scan and said no errors. “They must be working right” they say. Then told me they aren’t suppose to do that….

I don’t see that button. Where is it?
The US spec LC200 does not have AFS (adaptive front lighting system) so no button it is only the LX570 (or other models). The behavior you describe is very much like the way my Lexus GS350 with AFS "dips" the headlights on start up. I have never noticed my 200 do it but to be honest I would likely ignore it because I'm used to it on the GS.

Where you able to duplicate the behavior at the dealership or is it a random event?

The US spec LC200 does not have AFS (adaptive front lighting system) so no button it is only the LX570 (or other models). The behavior you describe is very much like the way my Lexus GS350 with AFS "dips" the headlights on start up. I have never noticed my 200 do it but to be honest I would likely ignore it because I'm used to it on the GS.

Where you able to duplicate the behavior at the dealership or is it a random event?
Cant duplicate it because they are stuck or maybe for ease if description- have stopped moving. They say the lights are not suppose to

Last edited:
Cant duplicate it because they are stuck or maybe for ease if description- have stopped moving. They say the lights are not suppose to
I would say they are correct for an '18 LC200 ... I don't believe they should automatically cycle at startup.
If it can't be duplicated then you have very little choice then wait until you can find a circumstance/situation that will cause it to happen 100% of the time. I doubt very much if the issue is anything the onboard diagnostic will find (as experienced).

Once it can be duplicated then the mechanic has an opportunity to make a repair and then, most importantly, ensure it has been fixed when he can't duplicate.

Is this a different issue than the other thread you started where you posted video and it did appear to "blink" on start up?

My '13 GS350 dipped and it didn't have AFS. Every German car that I've had that had HID Projector lights also did the dip/self test. But sounds like you need to find out from someone with a similar year LC. There are 3 different iterations of the headlights in 200 series LC (and 3 for the LX). LC didn't get a projector lens until 2013, so that's the earliest year that an LC could possibly do the selftest/blink.

Not sure if it's actually a law or not...but most vehicles with an HID projector have some sort of auto leveling to keep the beam pattern below the eyes of oncoming traffic when going over hills/bumps. Seems that if they have that system, then they usually do a self check at startup.

On your LC, if there is a fault keeping it from working, it's most likely with the height sensor on the rear axle.

I would say they are correct for an '18 LC200 ... I don't believe they should automatically cycle at startup.
If it can't be duplicated then you have very little choice then wait until you can find a circumstance/situation that will cause it to happen 100% of the time. I doubt very much if the issue is anything the onboard diagnostic will find (as experienced).

Once it can be duplicated then the mechanic has an opportunity to make a repair and then, most importantly, ensure it has been fixed when he can't duplicate.

Is this a different issue than the other thread you started where you posted video and it did appear to "blink" on start up?

Im not sure what you are referring to when saying, duplicate it? What I have posted online is what WAS happening after they stopped cycling up/down on start up. The up/down cycling on start up is what I have been experiencing since new until recently when starting the truck. So the lights went from , since new, on start up, moving up/down. Then that stopped and they just flashed ( the video I posted ). I never had a reason to video the up/down movement as that was expected behaviorI had experienced since new.

Now they dont move or blink/flash. Just go on.

My mistake I thought you were trying to fix a problem where the lights were moving/blinking ... in that case the tech would need to be able to have it "misbehave" in front of him in order to repair and validate the repair..

It appears that you want the opposite, the lights should move because you state it did that since new. I just spend 20 minutes trying every possible combination of light switch positions while starting the vehicle and there is NO movement similar to what I see with the Lexus AFS. I believe that to be "normal" behavior for a US spec Land Cruiser. There is no point in my speculating any further.

Im not sure what you are referring to when saying, duplicate it? What I have posted online is what WAS happening after they stopped cycling up/down on start up. The up/down cycling on start up is what I have been experiencing since new until recently when starting the truck. So the lights went from , since new, on start up, moving up/down. Then that stopped and they just flashed ( the video I posted ). I never had a reason to video the up/down movement as that was expected behaviorI had experienced since new.

Now they dont move or blink/flash. Just go on.

haha there are couple thread floating around about this

some 16+ owners wear their headlights do the dance. Others say they've never seen it. Others say it's only when there has been a large change in the load of the car.

There seems to be no consensus.....like a big mystery

I saw that Aussie video posted earlier in this thread and thought My 2017 has never done that. Did I break something while fixing the auto levelling feature.

My personal big mystery is after messing with the autolevelling feature my auto headlights are very wonky. only triggers low beam when I have cars at my 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock.
Right in front only triggers when I'm like 20 feet behind.
On coming doesn't trigger it either.

Well to me, the sorriest thing bout it is that the dealers dont even know "the dance" let alone the auto leveling arm on the rear frame. Nor Toyota of NA. I literally spent about 1/2 the other day on the phone with them while driving. The girl couldn't even use the .pdf search function properly to find Auto Leveling headlight. By the time I got to where I was going, I pulled out my manual and looked it up and told her the page number of where to start. needless to say, the information is limited and mentioned nothing about the dance.

It was summed up earlier in this thread I believe where someone stated its most likely a test for the feature that the light go through on start up.

yeah but you also have to understand they sell about 3000 LC a year in the US. so 2016 to 2022
That is 18,000 - 20,000 in the entire US.

Like hens teeth to them and especially the lower level employees prob have zero experience with them.

Yep. While I dont expect every tech to know everything about every car, the dealer certainly has the resources to get the problem fixed. They have access to much much more than the corner shop. Like I said earlier, my dealer , Toyota of Slidell didnt even want to investigate why my Audio screen was changing to another screen. Im gonna leave it at that - thats a whole other problem - and there's probably a thread for that somewhere. haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom