ARRL Books (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brentbba

Former Golfer
Threads
Going to be taking a General Exam class thru a local repeater organization starting next Thursday. They'll be using the ARRL General Exam book.

I used the Gordon West book for the Technician exam an found it easy to use.

Anyone used any of the ARRL books? Figure I may as well get the book the class will be using. Class, book and some of the online practice tests and I'll be good to go at the end of the classes - knock on wood. :D

Group is doing four classes, two hours each in February.

I purchased the ARRL Extra Exam book when it first came out over the summer, but never got around to actually reading the book (much less taking the test).

However, I did browse through the book and the layout looked like it made sense and would be easy to follow (but there is a lot of electronics theory to cover :frown:).

Good luck!

You're moving on to EXTRA already Miescha? Wow!

I figure I'll go ahead and get the ARRL book since that's what the guy doing the class wants to use. I was happy with the layout and info in the West Tech book. West could tone down the gushing enthusiasm a little tho IMHO. He's on a lot of the nets out here with news behind the news type stuff. Seems like a nice guy, VERY knowledgeable and always there to help various repeater groups. Another way to look at it is self promotion and that's ok to. He makes a lot of money with his books and classes that he teaches. His basic class runs somewhere around $200 for the Tech exam. Expensive!!!

Extra has now dropped CW too hasn't it?

We'll see how the General goes.

The ARRL books have "more" information than you need for the tests. But it gives you additonal info so you know what you are doing, and why. I used all three. I still refer to them on occasion for information or for a solution to a problem. The West stuff that I have looked at is not much of a technical resource.

If the electrical theory is too much for the extra (half the ARRL book and test) you could use a combination of West and the ARRL books.

Testing over the air??? The honor system is still around--outside of golf hehe.

Testing over the air??? Where'd that come from? You've got to have three VE's present at any exam sponsored by a VEC. No other way to take the test to my knowledge.

Testing over the air??? Where'd that come from? You've got to have three VE's present at any exam sponsored by a VEC. No other way to take the test to my knowledge.

Mis-read the post. Sinus infections not good for concentration.....:eek:

You're moving on to EXTRA already Miescha? Wow!

Extra has now dropped CW too hasn't it?

Yep - having the General from the start has been really nice for HF work, and though I don't do a lot of HF, I'd like to have the Extra just so I don't have to worry about where I am transmitting.

No CW for anything anymore - otherwise I would not be a tech or general right now. I always hear talk of bringing it back, so I figured I should get the Extra before it comes back (just in case).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom