Arrest warrants issued for Billy Joe Shaver (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Texican

s-Moderator
Threads
Two warrants have been issued for the arrest of country singer-songwriter Billy Joe Shaver in connection of a weekend shooting in a Texas bar.

On Monday, he was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and unlawfully carrying a handgun on the premises of a business with a license to sell alcohol for on-premises consumption.

Shaver, allegedly shot a man in the face Saturday night on the back porch of Papa Joe's Texas Saloon in Lorena, a suburb of Waco, said John Moran, city manager and chief of police. The man was hospitalized after the incident and was listed in stable condition.

On Saturday, Shaver, 67, hired Austin attorney Joseph Turner, who has represented Willie Nelson and Matthew McConaughey. On Sunday, Turner said they had been cooperating with the investigation and Shaver would turn himself in if a warrant were issued for his arrest.

Shaver, considered a writer's writer, is a beloved Texas performer whose songs have been recorded by Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, Waylon Jennings, Kris Kristofferson and Elvis Presley.

Part of the “outlaw” movement in the 1970s, Shaver wrote songs that were the basis of Jennings' landmark 1973 Honky Tonk Heroes album. His own hits include “Georgia on a Fast Train” in 1973 and "You Asked Me To" in 1978.

Thought the Boy done pulled a knife on Ol' Billy first ... that makes it self-defense. :cool:

:flamingo:

All reports I have heard indicate this.....'course it is agin the law to carry a firearm where they serve alchohol.
Butch

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

About 200 wildly supportive fans and half a dozen TV news cameras packed Waterloo Records early Tuesday evening for an appearance by Billy Joe Shaver, who less than four hours earlier had surrendered to authorities in McLennan County on charges of aggravated assault and possessing a firearm in a prohibited place. He posted bond — the bail amount was $50,000 — and was released.

The warrants were issued Monday night in connection with a shooting at 8:30 p.m. Saturday outside a bar in Lorena. Shaver's lawyer, Joe Turner of Austin, said Shaver shot in the cheek a man who had followed the songwriter outside with a knife.

"It's just so great to be anywhere," an animated and smiling Shaver told the crowd before a half-hour set featuring songs from his "Greatest Hits" album, released Tuesday.

If the 67-year-old Waco native was feeling much stress over recent events, he didn't show it, flapping his arms during "When the Fallen Angels Fly" and shadowboxing near the end of "Honky Tonk Heroes." Soaking up all the love, he ended the set by saying, "Don't forget to pray for me, and tell your kids to pray for me, too."
Sponsored Links

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom