Are the fires a threat? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Granite Grinder

IH8RUST
Threads
Just checking up on my friends up North

Thanks for checking Phil, So far so good on our front, we just had a power outage the day they all started a few weeks ago, but just hooked up the little Honda 2000 to keep the freezer going and all was good. Jim had to help a neighbor put out a fire that was 2km from his place and they ended up putting it out by taking a swath out of the forest to make a fire break with another neighbor's cat. Since then most have been extinguished except for the couple big ones that wernt too close to homes, which they didn't really fight.

Now yesterday the wind turned and started pushing the fire back towards homes. My buddys parents are in the evacuation alert area and they came to borrow our horse trailer to have it ready in case they are told to leave so they can grab their pigs and chickens they have. I was actually making some simple maps for my fiancé Amanda yesterday because she was worried to show her there is a lot of farm land between the fire and us even though it is somewhat close, but we should be pretty safe unless something crazy happens. Map below, and Jims place is like 10km east of the eastern boundary of the fire evacuation alert line, and the fire is like 8 km north of the line of fields I drew in there. Lots of helicopters flying overhead though.
fire here.png

Last edited:
Thanks Deny, still sounds kinda scary. All the best to you and Amanda and say Hi to Jim for me

Thanks for the update Deny. Don't hesitate to ask if you guys need help.

Thanks all, We had a bit of a hectic weekend, they put us in the evacuation alert area on Friday, and they evacuated my buddy Chris's parents so they brought their two pigs and their 13 piglets (4 weeks old) to stay at our place. Saturday we planted our garden cause it was suppose to rain on Sunday. Sunday I woke up at 4 am to heavy rain and saw my cat hunting mice around a big rock outside and I was glad for the rain, then after going to sleep woke up to my buddy phoning saying they were picking up the pigs as his dad was concerned they might catch pneumonia and I look outside and we had 2 inches of snow. Anyway the snow melted quick, all piggies were fine as we had two hay bales out which they turned into a nice warm nest and they pulled the evacuation order and alert (the order area is still under alert) and they seem to be getting a handle on the fire.
Cheers,
Deny

Here are a few pics from the past, things are looking a lot better now. first one is from pretty far away, the second was the Friday when we were on alert from the NW corner of our quarter section. Last one is pic of the new trailer I bought and facing NE and you can see the sky is black from the clouds. Smoke is really subsided now and don't think I can even see it from our place anymore.
IMG_0934.JPG

IMG_0945.JPG

IMG_0942.JPG

Here are the refugees' we had on Friday to Sunday morning (when the snow hit).
IMG_0956.JPG

IMG_0955.JPG

IMG_0954.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom