ARB compressor pressure solenoid? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JLH

SILVER Star
Threads
Going to install this soon on a Slee bracket, I've got the single piston version. Slee says they've never installed one of the single piston versions in a 200 but assures me the bracket is compatible. I've been unable to find any install pics of the single to get an idea of mounting orientation so we'll see how it goes. The wiring loom is way more complex than needed as I'm not installing switches in the cab, so I do believe some pruning is in order. One thing occurred to me though as I looked at the wiring diagram, do I need the pressure solenoid for just tire inflation purposes?

Yep. Otherwise, the compressor won't shut off when the pressure goes above 120 (or whatever it is.)
This would undoubtably damage it over time, as it would definitely spike higher than that as you switch between tires.

Yeah. The little pressure switches are cheap. Buy 2 just in case. I have an 85-100 psi switch on my little ARB compressor.

Found a couple of schematics that show just compressor power and switching. Thanks for the replies!

Going to install this soon on a Slee bracket, I've got the single piston version. Slee says they've never installed one of the single piston versions in a 200 but assures me the bracket is compatible. I've been unable to find any install pics of the single to get an idea of mounting orientation so we'll see how it goes. The wiring loom is way more complex than needed as I'm not installing switches in the cab, so I do believe some pruning is in order. One thing occurred to me though as I looked at the wiring diagram, do I need the pressure solenoid for just tire inflation purposes?

You don't need a solenoid valve for inflating tires AND you don't need a pressure switch either. The purpose of the pressure switch (PS) is so that the air comp knows when to shut itself off and prevent from blowing itself up! The key here is to have a "normally open" chuck, like the one shown below.

You will need a switch (somewhere) to turn it on/off the air comp so, like you said, you'll need to pair down the ARB harness to give you this simple functionality.

Basically, you turn on the switch in the cab and the air comp turns on, air flows out of the tire chuck. While airing up your tires, you'll need to remove the air chuck and check the air pressure. Then reconnect the chuck to the valve stem and continue to air up.

: Amazon product ASIN B07QNN5YG3
If you'd rather not remove the chuck to check your air pressure, get one of these shown below, then replace the NC (normally closed) chuck with the NO (normally open) chuck I show above.

Amazon product ASIN B08DXY49V6
You might know this already but that single piston air comp will take a very long time to inflate your tires ;). It'll just slow down more and more as it heats up and living in a hot engine bay will not do it any favor, if that's where you'll be installing it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom