ARB Bumper Love/Hate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I love/hate the ARB winch bumper. It has a job to do but...it gets in the way. Working on the motor is a royal pain. When I took the stock bumper off, working on motor was GREAT. Now with the ARB on, I kill my self bending over it. I can't wait till I get a lift and try working on it. To bad it wasn't quick disconnect.
kurt

There is a device - that my neighbor the big truck mechanic keeps telling me about - that can solve this problem, though it is going to be difficult to describe...

It is a creeper, after a fashion, though one actually lays on an arched platform, face down but sticking out over the front edge, and the base rolls under the front of the truck, and there you are "suspended" over the engine with both hands free and can easily reach anywhere in the bay.

I'll try to find an image...

R -

I currently use a pair of alignment stands that have great platforms for walking around about a foot off the ground, but I used to use a step that hooked over the tire with a platform about the same height.
You gotta watch milk crates. They spit out from under you pretty easily.

I love/hate the ARB winch bumper. It has a job to do but...it gets in the way. Working on the motor is a royal pain. When I took the stock bumper off, working on motor was GREAT. Now with the ARB on, I kill my self bending over it. I can't wait till I get a lift and try working on it. To bad it wasn't quick disconnect.
kurt
Yeah I know what you mean! I have the same problem. But like other I use a step stool. Makes working on it a little easier.

Take the hood off. It makes the Cruiser look like a sissy mobile anyways and only gets in the way when you are trying to break stuff. :G

Just use crates with a 2x8 or whatever is around.

Better yet, just slam the thing down like Tyler and have a little bendsy over anytime you gotta fix anything. Just no curtains please. :D

You guys are just way to high tech for me. I just sit my hindquarters on the bar and lean over. It wears a little on the back but it works for me. funniest thing my wife ever saw was my son and I both sitting on the bar resetting valves. for reference I am 6'3" and my son is 4. when all else fails get inventive.
Dave :beer:

I like having mine.  The slight inconvenience I have of bending over it while doing engine work (I'm 6' 5") is more than overcome by the convenience of having a handy 'shelf' to put tools, rags, quarts of oil, :beer:, etc. on while I'm working.  

Of course I'm just running a low height lift right now (1"), so when I swap out springs here in another month or so this all may change. :-/

I guess if it gets too bad I can run to the vintage store and pick up some old platform shoes. :D

I'm partial to leopard print myself, but you can go with whatever gets yo ladies r'spect da most.

You guys are doing it all wrong. Raise the truck, remove the 2 front wheels, use some itty bitty jack stands under the axle and lower the front of the truck back down.

"You don't send Mohamad to the mountain, you bring the mountain to Mohamad." Or, you can grow to 6'5" like Jim.

-B-

On the 60, I just removed the fenders. It is just bolted on. I don't know if the 80s fenders will come off that easy though...
kurt

Just another reason to buy Christo's bumper ;)

5.5?

Is there such a thing as a midget deer?

Actually, there is. Key Deer in Florida. There are not too many left as they keep getting mowed down on the main highway down through the Keys.
Bill

The .5 is a fawn that I drove over. It crawled out from under the HiLux and ran a way. I had a Elk put the air brakes on as it tried to fly into the windshield of the HiLux. Has it hit us, some one else would own my 60 and 80 now.
kurt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom