Any thoughts on this electrical gremlin? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all!

This is on my daughter's 99 with 220k.

No previous electrical issues.

She turned it off at work yesterday and noticed that the abs light stayed on. She didn't think much of it and went to work. 6 hours later, it was dead. After jumping and getting it home, I observed the following behavior

Key on, engine running, all appears normal.
Key on, engine off, all appears normal
Key on acc, abs light, dt running lights and heater fan remain on.
Key off and removed. Abs light, D light in dash, seat belt light, daytime running lights, heater fan remain on, and the door chime sounds and then stops, as if the key were on.

I opened the hood and the fuse box cover was not in place--we have had some significant rain in the past week. My daughter admits to driving through some puddles on the roads, but nothing off road.

She has had some intermittent wet carpet on the drivers side footwell from a blocked sunroof drain or a leaky Windshield, but it is pretty minimal.

I pulled several relays one at a time last night and pulling the ign relay under the hood shut everything off. This morning, the battery was dead, so while I figured out a way to address the symptoms, the voltage drain was still present. So far I have three suspects:

1.Ign switch
2.Water intrusion into the fuse box causing a short
3. Water intrusion into the kick panel causing a short.

Anybody else dealt with something like this or have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Dan

Update:

Pulling the second ignition relay halts the battery drain. No parasitic draw detected and the battery and alternator are healthy.

I observed the following behavior:
Pulling ignition relay 1 or 2 results in an audible click as the relay disengages and the associated circuits go dark. Putting the relay back in does NOT result in the circuits going active again. Only turning the key to acc results in no change, but if the key is turned to ON or the car is started, the circuits remain live.

Disconnecting the neg terminal on the battery results in the relays disengaging and they do not re-engage when the battery is reconnected until the key is turned to "on"

Both relays will display this behavior independent of the other. Either can be out and the other will still misbehave. No change with the acc relay pulled either, and the behavior persists when using a known good relay.

Any thoughts?

Those relays are either:

Being grounded out by another circuit that then resets when power is pulled

Or

Pulling their second source of power from a circuit that resets when disconnected.

For the 80 series, Toyota used a switched ground on most circuits. Is this also the case in the 100?

Update:

I pulled the driver side kick panel and ran the heater with AC on for several hours. I also popped the bottom off of the under hood fuse box and left a fan blowing on it overnight and through most of today even though there was no visible water in there. As of this evening, all symptoms have been resolved. I'd really like to know where the issue was in order to be able to address it directly, but all is good for now. If anybody happens to be looking through the EWD and sees a likely culprit, I am all ears!:beer::beer:

@KliersLC I'm having almost exactly the same issue after driving through an intense rainstorm. I thought it was dried out, and concerned the problems persisted, but I will try a more intense dry-out as you did and hope I can resove the same symptoms. Thanks for posting!

@KliersLC I'm having almost exactly the same issue after driving through an intense rainstorm. I thought it was dried out, and concerned the problems persisted, but I will try a more intense dry-out as you did and hope I can resove the same symptoms. Thanks for posting!
All is still working fine on our end, I hope this works for you too.

Mine had a similar issue. The horn was at full blast when it rained.
Removed the a-pillar trim and found traces of water trickling down to the kickpanel fusebox, eventually had to pull the windshield, clean the rust and re seal it.
Problem solved

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom