Another tire size recommendation thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone. I could use some help picking a good tire and tire size for my LC. I installed a Dobinson's suspension last year that gave me about 1" lift in front and 2" in the back. My truck is currently on stock tires. As you can see from the pics, I have a gap at the top and a little around the sides. Any suggestions on tire size. I'm going to run stock wheels, which I really like.

The tires I'm looking at right now are:

Toyo Open Country AT3 - 285/65R/18; Diameter: 32.6", Tread Width: 9.4", Sect. Width: 11.5"

Mickey Thompson Baja Legend EXP - 285/65R/18; Diameter 33", tread Width: 9.2", Sect. Width: 11.5"

I can't find any reviews on the MT's because they're so new, so not sure about road noise and other handling characteristics. The Toyo's are pretty tried and true. I could also go with a KO2 but I've heard that they may not function as well in rain. I live near Boston, so need something that's solid in rain and snow, in addition to decent off-road capability. Most of my daily driving is on-road.

The final picture os of my wife's 4Runner. I would like the spacing in the wheel well to be pretty comparable. I don't like the look of tires that completely fill the wheel well from front-to-back, even if it means I have a bit of a gap at the top. Also, I don't want to do any trimming or need to remove mud flaps or anything like that. So I'm trying to be careful not to go too big and then have rubbing and that type of thing when I turn. I remember there used to be a google doc with all of the tire information but I can't seem to locate it on the forums anymore.

Any suggestions for tire size? Anyone have experience with the MT's?

Also, just a quick product plug for Ammo NYC Reflex Pro Top Coat. Super easy to apply and looks great, even on a cloudy New England day.

Thanks in advance for your help.

tempImages1l97T.png
tempImagetVrys4.png
tempImageDczfBu.png
tempImagePd3vvW.png

Most people on here agree that 285/65R18 is the correct size for what you're describing (a slight diameter bump without rubbing... usually).

I don't need tires yet, but have been window shopping Mickey Thompson's also. If you're already considering them, then maybe take a look at their Baja Boss A/T, which is also pretty new. I haven't tried them, but I'm pretty sure they will be my next tire. There are two or three people on here that have posted about them before. All the reviews I've seen around the web highly recommend them, and they all mention that they ride quiet. However, I've noticed (and you pointed it out) that the MT tires tend to have larger diameter for a given size than other tires do, so that might introduce some rubbing (maybe, but maybe not...)

The 200-series is a big girl and can handle big tires about as well as stock if built with consideration. Not just throwing parts at it, but making sure everything works as a system.

If you think you'll want more, I would encourage you to go one larger size than is comfortable in your mind. Those ahead have already done the incremental journey to know what can work and work well. Without spending money twice. I think most people upgrade tires, only to realize how effortless it is, and how well the vehicle behaves, and then wish they went further in retrospect.

Most people on here agree that 285/65R18 is the correct size for what you're describing (a slight diameter bump without rubbing... usually).

I don't need tires yet, but have been window shopping Mickey Thompson's also. If you're already considering them, then maybe take a look at their Baja Boss A/T, which is also pretty new. I haven't tried them, but I'm pretty sure they will be my next tire. There are two or three people on here that have posted about them before. All the reviews I've seen around the web highly recommend them, and they all mention that they ride quiet. However, I've noticed (and you pointed it out) that the MT tires tend to have larger diameter for a given size than other tires do, so that might introduce some rubbing (maybe, but maybe not...)
Thanks for the response.

It's interesting how the same numbers can result in a slightly bigger diameter. I don't know too much about tires but I wonder if it has to do in part with tread depth. The MTs are a little beefier in terms of tread. Originally I wasn't planning on getting the MTs because they were more expensive than the Toyo's but the prices are much more comparable now compared to last year.

275/70R18 (33.2") fills the wheel wells nicely. A smidge of heat gun and 2x4 to reshape the front splashguards.

Oh, and AMMONYC Reflex Pro also.
20211126 IMG_9842.jpg

20220430 IMG_0434.jpg

As some folks know, I'm a big advocate of the Cooper ST Maxx. We have plenty of snow and ice here and I have run them on all three of my vehicles, including the plow truck. If they made a 35x10.5, I'd still run them on my LC. I think they're the best value going, personally, and they look nice, too. FWIW our local Forest Service switched from the Toyos to these Coopers and they're driving bad roads all day long.

Hi everyone. I could use some help picking a good tire and tire size for my LC. I installed a Dobinson's suspension last year that gave me about 1" lift in front and 2" in the back. My truck is currently on stock tires. As you can see from the pics, I have a gap at the top and a little around the sides. Any suggestions on tire size. I'm going to run stock wheels, which I really like.

The tires I'm looking at right now are:

Toyo Open Country AT3 - 285/65R/18; Diameter: 32.6", Tread Width: 9.4", Sect. Width: 11.5"

Mickey Thompson Baja Legend EXP - 285/65R/18; Diameter 33", tread Width: 9.2", Sect. Width: 11.5"

I can't find any reviews on the MT's because they're so new, so not sure about road noise and other handling characteristics. The Toyo's are pretty tried and true. I could also go with a KO2 but I've heard that they may not function as well in rain. I live near Boston, so need something that's solid in rain and snow, in addition to decent off-road capability. Most of my daily driving is on-road.

The final picture os of my wife's 4Runner. I would like the spacing in the wheel well to be pretty comparable. I don't like the look of tires that completely fill the wheel well from front-to-back, even if it means I have a bit of a gap at the top. Also, I don't want to do any trimming or need to remove mud flaps or anything like that. So I'm trying to be careful not to go too big and then have rubbing and that type of thing when I turn. I remember there used to be a google doc with all of the tire information but I can't seem to locate it on the forums anymore.

Any suggestions for tire size? Anyone have experience with the MT's?

Also, just a quick product plug for Ammo NYC Reflex Pro Top Coat. Super easy to apply and looks great, even on a cloudy New England day.

Thanks in advance for your help.

View attachment 2998315View attachment 2998316View attachment 2998317View attachment 2998318
Rain, snow, daily driver, Boston,…. Why not Defender LTX?

If you do not want to remove or touch the front mud flap at all will probably have to go smaller then 285/65-18.

General Grabber ATX
Stock suspension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom