Another flat tire..... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The pressure sensor went off yesterday on my way home - and by the time I pulled into the garage the tire was at 10#. This is the second time (I had a plug put in a couple years ago) and I suspect I have about 20k of life left in the Falken Wildpeak AT3W's. I am running 275/65/18. If a plug is not an option for me, I might just bite the bullet and get a new set (but I also hate wasting tires/$).

Q: suggestions for a less than A/T tire that holds it own in the snow (thinking quieter and MPG). The Michelin Defender LTX looks nice but is also the most $$$. Of course, these go on the '08 200.

TIA!

Check current issue first, may not be a tire issue, may be wheel or stem related. Also, if this is tire related, try having it repaired. If it's just a hole, you can often plug what most shops wont. Get the full life of your tire, they are too expensive to replace ahead of worn out. BFG's K02 is my vote, but you're in SF, might be better to just get a Prius.

The Michelin LTX M/S P-rated has served me well. Super reliable in 4 seasons.

The Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure w/Kevlar seems to be well rated on road. Anyone have experience w/it?

Tire repair is not so hard as it used to be. 20k left is a lot of miles to waste.
Find a tire shop that is fixing the tire properly - dismount, scrap/sand off the silicone release layer from inside the tire (used in tire fabrication), clean the hole, drill the hole with a tire repair drill, vacuum and wipe with tire cleaner the inside area, cement the hole and the inside area, install a proper plug from inside, apply sealer over it.
Here is a video to see how the things is done:
I do not do the sanding, just a very good scrapping (a lot more than what they do in the video).
I do not have the spiral tool, just use a screwdriver.

I patched a lot of tires on my cars especially during the years the road construction was going on my usual comute.
I'm using TECH UL6 Uni-Seal Ultra plugs. They are good for most of the repairs. Larger damages may require a different plug but at that size of a damage I would consider tire replacement.
Amazon product ASIN B092W74BT7The link is on amazon but I got my stuff at a local tire repair supply business (search on Internet for suppliers).

I bought the tools that last forever for a home user and are not expensive. Don't forget the fluids. On amazon the popular brand is ZERINT and they offer the tools as a set for $30. The drill is the most expensive at $40 but again this is one time purchase and last for life.

Many shops now offer tire repair for life of the tire if you buy and install the tire with them. The problem is that they may not fix many of the damages due to liability (location of the damage or size) or they may use the most convenient method for them not the best.

Take a look at the Bridgestone Revo3. I’ve owned a ton of different tires always hunting for a mild A/T and the Revo3 far exceeded my expectations. They are very quiet, real smooth and track extraordinarily well in heavy rain.

Another consideration is age. What is the manufacture date of the Falkens? There is no hard and fast rule on old age for a tire, but if it’s more than 6 years old, you may want to consider replacement rather than repair.

Another consideration is age. What is the manufacture date of the Falkens? There is no hard and fast rule on old age for a tire, but if it’s more than 6 years old, you may want to consider replacement rather than repair.

They are 2016's.

It was patchable. I thought I had about 20k left on tread; he said w/2016 age he would not go past 7k.

I'll make it through winter and buy a new set. He liked Cooper and Falken.....coming from a Michelin shop. He likes the Michelins but the prices were tough for him to justify based on some competitive offerings.

The Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure w/Kevlar seems to be well rated on road. Anyone have experience w/it?
I dislike commenting on oil threads and tire threads, but since no one else has picked up your question I’ll offer my thoughts. I’ve used two sets on two different trucks in LT construction. For its intended use I can recommend it as a tough, fairly lightweight and dependable tire that is pretty quiet on the road. I only have two complaints that others might care less about. First, in cases of deep standing water at interstate speeds, which is a hazard where I live, I wish its resistance to hydroplaning was better, but it works. Second, its appearance is less than beefy. But, when I’m not feeling preoccupied with vanity, I feel very confident with these tires when I’m on the backside of hell and gone in remote areas traveling over roads and trails with every kind of volcanic rock known to Oregon. Lastly, I’ve run better AT tires in snow and ice, which is zero concern for me as I run dedicated winter tires. I am satisfied with what they do well. YMMV.

2016 tires are at end of life. I’d replace em this spring.

2016 tires are at end of life. I’d replace em this spring.
Agreed. The guy that did my patch (Michelin dealer I know here in SF) said pretty much the same. He went on about how most tire manufacturers are cutting back on the amount of silica in tires (causing quicker wear / cracking). I have zero idea if that is true or not, but he is an honest guy as far dealings go. He also says it’s hard to justify the Michelin $ over many of the competitors.

I generally replace tires before the tread is worn regardless as I only do about 7k miles / yr.

Agreed. The guy that did my patch (Michelin dealer I know here in SF) said pretty much the same. He went on about how most tire manufacturers are cutting back on the amount of silica in tires (causing quicker wear / cracking). I have zero idea if that is true or not, but he is an honest guy as far dealings go. He also says it’s hard to justify the Michelin $ over many of the competitors.

I generally replace tires before the tread is worn regardless as I only do about 7k miles / yr.
From another thread, i am actually don’t mind cutting back on Silica compound…….they make tires softer and less tough off-road. So, having lots of silica is great for on-road and performance when tires wear down. But for-off-road Tires, you actually want less silica (Per article).

Here is the thread with link to article: Good Article on AT Tires - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/good-article-on-at-tires.1302767/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom