Another 1HD FTE rattle thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So… I had just fixed an exhaust leak on the mid muffler on my 99 LC100 1HD FTE and upon complete started to hear other unfamiliar noises. The noise in question sounds like something metal on metal spinning. The sounds isn’t apparent at idle and happens from about 750-2000rpm under load, with no load the noise is absent.

Things ive checked:

Pulleys - idler, AC, Power heater, alternator, water pump, main pulley(still bonded/not wobbling or contacting timing cover) timing belt, injection pump, cam and timing belt tension pulley.

Don’t think this is related but, the fuel pick up line had pinholes near the fuel tank this was causing long starts Replaced a section of the hardline with some high performance stainless braided lines, replaced the primer pump assembly(pump wasn’t stiffening up) fuel filter, and fuel water sensor and gaskets.

Oil changed 2000km ago, transmission fluid drained and filled 500km ago. New air filter 500km ago.

I’ve stethoscoped block, head, injectors, pump, timing cover transmission injector lines, accessories - ps/ac/ph/wp/alternator with no luck tracking down this noise

I’m starting to thing possibly flex plate issue. I’ve read that there are no sight holes and can be accessed thru on of the bolt holes. Will dive into this in a few days, maybe in the mean times someone has hear this noise. Will attach a video.

Thanks

I can’t really hear it in the video but my ears are old.

Does it have the intake shutter?

Wouldn’t hurt to adjust the valves, its not very hard but is time consuming.

Cheers

I don’t think it has intake shutter, power is good throughout the rev range, no smoke, etc. Was going to tear into a valve adjustment either tonight or tomorrow, the truck has 318xxx km on it and I’m not sure when the last time they were done. As I’ve read on countless other threads, maybe it’s just normal rattle.

I don’t think it has intake shutter, power is good throughout the rev range, no smoke, etc. Was going to tear into a valve adjustment either tonight or tomorrow, the truck has 318xxx km on it and I’m not sure when the last time they were done. As I’ve read on countless other threads, maybe it’s just normal rattle.
So when you asked if it has the intake shutter I thought you meant as a symptom.

Yes it does have an intake shutter and I tested the operation of it. Closes with vacuum and with engine running apply 12v and it closes.

I’ve adjusted the valves they didn’t seem out of spec all that much, regardless they are adjusted and I don’t have to worry about that for awhile, at the same time cleaned the upper intake pipes out, carbon wasn’t too bad compared to some pictures I’ve seen. EGR was deleted when I purchased the vehicle so hopefully that tames the carbon a bit.

I took all the skid plates off and removed the sight hole held on with 2 10mm bolts, checked the flex plate, spun engine, Couldnt find any cracks. Started it up and checked underneath and couldn’t hear the noise within the bell housing.

Starting to think it may just be an absurdly loud injection pump or injectors. Last tank I added some injector cleaner thru it. Half bottle as per ratio. Going to run some synthetic 2 stroke oil at 500:1 to see if noise changes at all.

Just replaced exhaust donut, springs and bolts, re/re the starter, checked the starter for proper operation, bolted everything back together and the noise is almost completely gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom