Amp Meter Question (Help!) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay guys, been working on the 40 for sometime now and she's road ready. Took her to the muffler shop on Wednesday. Question: How far (if any) does you amp meter read in teh +? I have hooked everything up, Correctly I think. White wire with blue to the post. White wire with green to the field terminal and the white with black to the E terminal. Tested alternator (2 times with 2 places) all good. Bought new voltage regulator, all good. Have continuity through lines, all good. My meter will show it discharging,(lights on, turn signals etc.) but when normal running acceleration it never goes to positive side, the meter will read just to the left of center line????

I am pulling my hair out on this one. I have researched and read charts, tables and many, many other post and cannot figure this one out. I have looked at 3 40's and my set up is the same as theirs. Please tell me what am I missing?

Is there anything physically holding the needle from moving to the + side? Rust, debris, etc?

No. That was a thought too. Had a mechanic take a quick look and he showed me how to jump the voltage regulator to test that. Ran a jumper from the alternator to the battery (I think) and made the needle go past 50+ said it proved alt was working and putting out what was needed??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom