Aluminum transmission tubing fabrication (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kcjaz

SILVER Star
Threads
So when I recently pulled the radiator out of my 200 LC, I bend one of the transmission cooler tubes that directly connect to the bottom of the radiator.
C4F40A2B-ABCF-4FB1-B64E-01C6293D4033.jpeg

This part can't be purchased separately from the radiator (%$#@#$). A fellow Mudder in TX has one on an old radiator he pulled out of a 200 and is sending it to me (thank God for forums like this!). If that doesn't work out for some reason I think this little tube could easily be made if I had a tube bender, and flare tool. I've never done that but I'm sure someone on here has. Would a cheapo Amazon brake line flare tool kit do this? I need the flare for the flare nut and also the rubber tube end "barb" for the spring clamp.

Why not get a metric barb fitting from summit?

Maybe. A straight hose barb with a threaded end could be threaded into the radiator but the hose connecting to it would need to make a pretty tight bend. I suppose I could also use a 90 degree double barb and a short piece of hose to make it work.

Tompkins Industries on Kansas City Road in Olathe should be able to duplicate that.

If it’s the same size as 100 and 80 series I bet I have them.

If it’s the same size as 100 and 80 series I bet I have them.
Can you take a picture? I doubt yours will fit but maybe. The ones from the guy in TX will not work as the fitting that threads into the radiator is different. Here's a better pic of mine with the flare nut removed.

DFFF715B-E32C-4F86-90E5-18A0A9EFF1C7.jpeg

I also called Tompkins and they don’t do aluminum tubing. I’ll take it to them tomorrow and see if they can make one some a SS tube.

Can you take a picture? I doubt yours will fit but maybe. The ones from the guy in TX will not work as the fitting that threads into the radiator is different. Here's a better pic of mine with the flare nut removed.

View attachment 2545242

I also called Tompkins and they don’t do aluminum tubing. I’ll take it to them tomorrow and see if they can make one some a SS tube.
DCAB8956-A421-451D-B4F6-A4AFD592E989.jpeg

Thanks. Don’t think those will work. It turns out that my radiator is not OEM and the connections I have for the tranny cooler are different than OEM. I’m going to have to make something. If I can make the turn with the hose using a straight hose barb, that will be the easiest way.

image.jpg

Welll these are aftermarket courser thread than stock. Your welcome to try them. I will likely never use them. I by passed that cooler.

View attachment 2546213
Welll these are aftermarket courser thread than stock. Your welcome to try them. I will likely never use them. I by passed that cooler.
Hmmm. If the thread is right on the flare nuts, they might work if I could get the hose to bend in the space I have. I’ll PM you and maybe I could come to you to take a look at them.

No need to make anything or search for special parts these are pretty common.

I am doing a full overhaul on my 3fe fj80 and bought an aftermarket radiator with male AN (similar to JIC) threads coming off. I have also been searching for the right parts to get.

Some info on these flare type fittings:

Step 1 - find out what thread it is. AN/JIC are inch threads. either use your thread gauge or take it to home depot to determine threads.
Step 2 - what is the hose size.
Step 3 - search the web for your elbow with JIC nut and flared ends elbow.

Summit racing is one place that has parts or any hydraulic supplier would be ok as long as its suitable for oil use.

My go to method is to find the correct search terms and then just order through amazon.

No need to make anything or search for special parts these are pretty common.

I am doing a full overhaul on my 3fe fj80 and bought an aftermarket radiator with male AN (similar to JIC) threads coming off. I have also been searching for the right parts to get.

Some info on these flare type fittings:

Step 1 - find out what thread it is. AN/JIC are inch threads. either use your thread gauge or take it to home depot to determine threads.
Step 2 - what is the hose size.
Step 3 - search the web for your elbow with JIC nut and flared ends elbow.

Summit racing is one place that has parts or any hydraulic supplier would be ok as long as its suitable for oil use.

My go to method is to find the correct search terms and then just order through amazon.
Thanks. They are AN. I tried a local hydraulic shop but they didn’t do anything aluminum. I could get close with Summit and probably could have made something work. I ended up reusing the twisted fitting. It really isn’t too bad from a flow restriction point of view and it doesn’t seem fatigued. I’ll just keep an eye on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom