ALL Accounts Security Locked (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gmail automatically flags emails from this site as spam for some reason. At least for me and my gmail account. Had no idea this happened until two weeks later when i just randomly clicked a ih8mud forum link.
Gmail (and every other mail provider) will let you "whitelist" a domain so it doesn't autofly to spam

Gmail (and every other mail provider) will let you "whitelist" a domain so it doesn't autofly to spam
Gotcha, thanks. So you're going to have to do this mass reset every few months it seems? Surely there's a better way...? Even if we add 2FA to our accounts the mass reset will still happen to us again?

Gotcha, thanks. So you're going to have to do this mass reset every few months it seems? Surely there's a better way...? Even if we add 2FA to our accounts the mass reset will still happen to us again?
2FA should be exempt....mostly...and there are other "less drastic" ways of handling it....but this first one was necessary.

2FA should be exempt....mostly...and there are other "less drastic" ways of handling it....but this first one was necessary.
Thank you - I will be adding 2FA then.

as of 5:42p today, 10,511 members have cleared the security reset :) Awesome!!

Handled another dozen email updates today too!

Thanks for the fun, but hard work, on this.

This is a forum about Toyota’s not my bank account. If I met the requirements for the password “but it’s too weak” that’s so so stupid. What’s gonna happen someone writes gibberish from my account? Stupid waste of everyone’s time

This is a forum about Toyota’s not my bank account. If I met the requirements for the password “but it’s too weak” that’s so so stupid. What’s gonna happen someone writes gibberish from my account? Stupid waste of everyone’s time
or, they hack your password, and then use your account (and your reputation) as a front for scamming other members out of thousands of dollars.

That HAS happened. Multiple times.

or, they hack your password, and then use your account (and your reputation) as a front for scamming other members out of thousands of dollars.

That HAS happened. Multiple times.
Fair point, however it’s just an account for Toyota’s. and if you’re dealing with anything that’s worth a significant amount of money (however that much is to you) maybe you should do better follow through, phone calls, FaceTime not just private messaging with some random person from a forum. I’m part of multiple forums, anything from guns to Toyota’s to ranching And others, where they sell all sorts of items worth any amount and they’ve never had a password reset or threaten to do one every few months or require two factor authentication or whatever else. And if it’s gonna happen every few months I don’t wanna take 15 minutes to figure out what words symbols and numbers I haven’t used yet and reset my password, I wanna login and do whatever

I’m part of multiple forums, anything from guns to Toyota’s to ranching And others, where they sell all sorts of items worth any amount and they’ve never had a password reset or threaten to do one every few months or require two factor authentication or whatever else.
These types of scams and hacks are becoming more and more common. Perhaps their lack of urgency/concern should be of more issue than my proactive/aggressive approach to a solution.

There have been a variety of scam issues over the past 12 months. Each time I seek out and implement a new process to catch them and attempt to keep it from happening. One of those I had custom coded, and for some versions of scammer, it has worked very well.

I believe this forced password reset was the "final" big step...and it's one that most forum owners will never take, since there is no guarantee that any members will bother resetting and return to the forum.

12,411 users have cleared the security lock. Thank you :)

My question is, on my main device, the password reset worked fine. However, on my other 3 devices, I can’t log in with my new password. Any advice on what to try or do? Keeping in mind, I am not a tech expert.

My question is, on my main device, the password reset worked fine. However, on my other 3 devices, I can’t log in with my new password. Any advice on what to try or do? Keeping in mind, I am not a tech expert.
Be sure you are fully logged out of those devices. A couple users have had a similar issue.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/login/logout (upper right of forum, select your username, then "logout" from the menu)

12,411 users have cleared the security lock. Thank you :)
You can add one more to that number. I've been away from home A LOT in August and only seem to login here when I see my 100 in the garage.

Out of curiosity, 12,412 cleared out of how many? Or is that some industry secret?

Cheers,
rjones

Thanks for enabling 2FA - or putting it out in front of us at least. I run a site and just checked how many users have enabled 2FA...

Three users.

I gotta make an announcement...

@woody thanks for adding 2FA!

...Now I need to write a How-To. :D
Ha! No doubt.

I was just about to post a "how do I do this" in this thread as I kept missing the "change" button at the top of the password reset on my "Password and security' page in my profile! :p

Last edited:
Just got mine reset... my advice is to lock out all IP's from China and Russia... had to do this on my forum.

Just got mine reset... my advice is to lock out all IP's from China and Russia... had to do this on my forum.
Most people just don't get it. I like to get them to go to ';--have i been pwned? and just watch the realization come over their faces when they see how many breaches their common emails have been in.
Then I ask the million dollar question "do you use this password with more than one site?".

It's scary out there.
My personal MS account has constant login attempts from ip addresses all over the world. Most recent attempts (2 hours ago) were from Brazil and Los Angeles, I don't live in either place.
Figure it's because that email has been a part of several breaches.

Most people just don't get it. I like to get them to go to ';--have i been pwned? and just watch the realization come over their faces when they see how many breaches their common emails have been in.
Then I ask the million dollar question "do you use this password with more than one site?".

It's scary out there.
My personal MS account has constant login attempts from ip addresses all over the world. Most recent attempts (2 hours ago) were from Brazil and Los Angeles, I don't live in either place.
Figure it's because that email has been a part of several breaches.

Security Every Day... Business Continuity Every Day... Sometimes I just want to abandon my jobby job and go live out of my FZJ in the woods. @woody can take over my site when I'm done. I started running fordsix when the previous admin passed away. Migrated through several versions of phgBB, got it stable, moved it to xenforo (because of good experience with this site TBH...) . backup/replicate production, backup/replicate the staging/pilot...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom