alignment, who to go to? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was looking at crisping up the alignment on my unit, w/ previous cars I would have taken it to Sandy Lane or something that my mechanic would have recommended, after reading a bit on here, it seems that an awd alignment shop is necessary for an 80.

Who do you guys recommend, or don't recommend?

Well there really is very little to
Align on a cruiser of any variety. On the front the only things that can be adjusted is toe in. All else is set by conditions of bushing and knuckle bearings. I'd do it with a tape measure. But I've messed that up before too. But it's worked more time than I've messed it up. :)

Alignment shops adjust on modern vehicles
Camber
Castor
Toe and
Wheel center

Your cruiser and you can only
Adjust the last two...

Well, goes to show you I shouldn't believe everything that's on the Internet.

I'll give this a try, maybe there are other factors that are affecting my tracking.

I just used a tape measure..... All good so far

I uses a tape measure too. Tracking could also be tire pressure, bad knuckle bearings, worn out tie rods/bushings etc...get the front end off the ground and give everything a good rogering!

I uses a tape measure too. Tracking could also be tire pressure, bad knuckle bearings, worn out tie rods/bushings etc...get the front end off the ground and give everything a good rogering!

I have the tie rod bushings in a box waiting for install because I thought it was good PM.
I'll see about the bearings, thanks.

then a tape measure.

I shoot for 1/16-1/8" toe out. Toe in is bad news.

Sent from my iPhone

I shoot for 1/16-1/8" toe out. Toe in is bad news.

Sent from my iPhone

I've always heard the oppisite unless I'm confused. I think chassis manual calls for 1/8 of toe in. Toe in meaning pigeon towed tires ever so slightly. The rational being with slack in front end components like tie rods and wheel bearings the toe will go to 0 while driving forward. This pushes the tires out to toe neutral.

I would agree if we were talking 2 wheel drive. A 4x4 with the front axle engaged will try to pull itself Into a toe in condition. That's what I was taught...
The other thing I just thought about it tire diameter when using a tape, the further away from the hub you get, the more "actual" toe in/out you will get. I wonder if it's best to use the rotors?

Sent from my iPhone

Never thought about the axle engaged part. On an 80 that would be the case. I think I'd just aim for no toe and go from there.

I went a 1/4" toe in measured centre tire to centre tire and other than my panhard bar with no nut issue all has been good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom