Air Intake rubber hose collapsing under boost (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've just recently replaced the flexible rubber hose that comes from my air box towards the turbo. The old split hose I replaced, although being flexible had a "skeleton" of sorts built in preventing it from potentially collapsing when warm and under vacuum. The new one (though looking identical) doesn't have the same rigidity and can be squashed easily by hand when cold. I'm concerned with running the higher boost settings (18psi), this hose will likely be sucking closed causing strain on my new high flow turbo and engine. Any crafty ideas of how I could safely modify this to give it some guts in the middle without ruining the aesthetic?

Note: I have already modified the stock airbox, added a 2 3/4" Stainless Steel snorkel with least amount of bends and installed a Unifilter (high flow) to reduce all other bottle necks but I still reckon this thing needs attention. I have three of these same hoses now, two of them are too soft. I'd like to not spend more money on this if I can so DIY ideas preferred. Cheers!

03e576c7dae8c0004e57a29a0df322d9485090e4db450bd5baa31de03a69e0ae.JPG

Last edited:
I just replaced the same hose on my 1KZTE - it arrived split and repaired with electrical tape. Neither the split hose I removed nor the new one I installed had any internal support structure. My truck is stock, but I haven't had any problems with the un-reinforced hose.

That's a bugger it arrived split! I've actually experienced the power loss going up a hill recently. Turbo boosting away at 18-19 psi and car going ok to suddenly no boost/low power almost like limp mode or as if a vacuum hose had popped off (which it hadn't). Get to the top of the hill, swapped the hose out with my old one from the 2000 model 1KZ (split one with duct tape around it) and the next hill and rest of the couple of hundred KM journey the problem never happened. The restrictive stock filter box is like putting your finger over the other end of a straw while sucking, made worse with the high flow turbo and boost wound up. Like you say, not noticable on a stock set-up. Off fishing with the family today but I might have a look at it tomorrow. Might be able to sikaflex a ring or two of 2 ³/⁴" SS pipe left over from the snorkel build inside the middle to give it some guts 🤔

ususally silicone hoses are not designed for the suction side, unless specifically made for the suction side. See if you can find any rubber hoses. I had same problem with the 90 degree to the turbo on a turbo'd 2H. Fixed it by replacing this 90 degree elbow with the factory 12HT rubber 90 degree hose.

ususally silicone hoses are not designed for the suction side, unless specifically made for the suction side. See if you can find any rubber hoses. I had same problem with the 90 degree to the turbo on a turbo'd 2H. Fixed it by replacing this 90 degree elbow with the factory 12HT rubber 90 degree h

Ahhh whoops! Sorry, I was meant to say "rubber" hose not "silicone" hose🤦. I've updated my post to reflect this. The hose I purchased I can crush with my weak hand. The original one I can't crush with both hands!

Here's the one I purchased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom