Air compressor or Power Tank? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yep, lot's of personal preference, but I expected that. :)

For those of you that have experience with the CO2 systems, about how long would one of these last? I guess my question is, if I go on a week long trip, where I'm engaging lockers several times a day, possibly running an impact a few times during the week, and airing up possibly once a day, would I be safe with say two 10lb tanks? Or, would I need the 20lb-ers?

As for cost, I still say it's cheaper with air tools. I can setup a CO2 system for around $500 (2-10lb tanks), and I already have a couple of air impacts. For a decent OBA system, you're talking around $400, plus $400 for the cordless impact.

The more I think about this though, the more I'm thinking I would prefer to have a good OBA system with compressor and tank, so I don't have to worry about getting it refilled or it running out. Not sure if there is one that would reliably run an air impact though...

I think running a impact you would have to have a pretty large tank....

If you already have some cordless tools with batteries, you could just buy the impact as a bare tool. Depending on what brand, they can be picked up for $100-200 pretty easily. That $400 milwaukee is a great tool, but just about any 18v impact will be more than sufficient to crank lug nuts on and off.

Yeah, most of my power tools are Bosch, and looking at online reviews, it doesn't appear to meet my needs. I should also note that the impact is mainly for CV changes. The CV axles on 2nd gen Tacomas are installed at 170 lb ft. So, I'm not sure just any impact will do haha.

I've been looking at this a little closer though, and I don't think the CO2 system will fill my needs for a variety of reasons... I'm thinking about going the Puma route, divorcing the tank, installing as OBA, and then just getting the Milwaukee impact.

Yeah, most of my power tools are Bosch, and looking at online reviews, it doesn't appear to meet my needs. I should also note that the impact is mainly for CV changes. The CV axles on 2nd gen Tacomas are installed at 170 lb ft. So, I'm not sure just any impact will do haha

My impact is called leverage. Why buy one tool for one job when your hands do it without trouble?

My impact is called leverage. Why buy one tool for one job when your hands do it without trouble?
That's pretty tough to do on a CV axle. Unless you know something I don't... Not saying it can't be done, but it's definitely not ideal, especially in a trail situation or while alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom