AHP TIG 200X welder. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tigerstripe40

SILVER Star
Threads
So I found some youtube reviews on a chinese made AHP TIG welder.

http://ahpwelds.com/index.php/welde...tig-stick-welder-with-pulse-110v-200v-19.html

The welding professionals who evaluated the machine all seemed to think they were really good machines for the value. The Torch and regulator were not well thought of by Mr Tig of Weld.com (but he sells a package of torch, consumables, and regulator, so taken with a grain of salt).

My plan is to weld mostly stainless but this machine also offers AC capabilities, so it's a very strong contender.

It uses standardized DINSE connectors (Longevity uses something else) so I cna always add a CK or WeldCraft torch at a later time if the bundled torch is crappy (I am actually thinking about getting the Mr Tig torch package listed above).

Any other 'Mud users have this welder? I know that Dieselcruiserhead has it, I messaged him on 4btswaps but he hasn't messaged me back.

Also, for the ESAB/Lincoln/Miller fanboys: If I was making a paycheck with this welder, I'd go with one of those brands no questions asked, but for my being a hobbyist I feel that paying $2800 - 4000 for an equivalent welder is just insanity.

The link came up as as suspected malware site on my mac.

Nothing equivalent about chink dink, when you are comparing against Miller.

I tried this AHP TIG machine, and I tried an entry level Miller with similar features (Diversion 180).
In my hands, the Miller was certainly a better welder, but it is NOT $1300 better.

I bought the AHP.

It has handled everything I have thrown at it in stride. The arc isn't as nice as the miller, but for what I am doing, it's just fine. I grind tungsten a lot more. But that might also be my lack of skill and practice.

Also, I notice some words on much packaging that say 'Genuine Miller Parts'...
Those words say "Made in China"

The link came up as as suspected malware site on my mac.

I just loaded it on my PC and it said the same thing. I will see if I can find another link.

If you are good you are good, it won't matter if you are using a Miller, Lincoln, AHP, HTP, Thermal Arc, etc.
The major difference will be support and resale value, and those can be huge. If you run out of headroom on a lesser known/supported brand you may not be able to sell it while a Miller could potentially fund a large part of the new purchase.

To anyone buying a machine good advice is always shopping the used market first or, if you are in a large city, go into your local welding supply (NOT an Airgas) and see how much wiggle room they have on a purchase of a new machine. You would be really surprised at what they will match from online vendors (you will pay local sales tax though) and you will have a rapport with them since you'll need consumables for years to come.

Just enjoy the welder and have fun will pushing yourself and learning.

Parts availability in the future is a big deal. (I got an Italian-made welder with just a busted feed wheel and clamp for free not too long ago. No parts to be found. Market value: zero or close.) But to be fair, I don't know for a fact that you can still buy any part you want for a 20 years-old Miller or Lincoln. Seems more likely than for a generic Chinese welder, though.
Unfortunately, besides consumables, it's hard to predict what part one may need some years down the line.

The IGBT's that this welder uses are the same IGBT's that Miller, Lincoln, ESAB and others use.
I figured this welder might end up being a throw away welder, and I am fine with that. Considering that I have repaired a sub frame on a motorcycle, welded parts for my 'Cruiser, did some Stainless welding for myself and a few friends for home brewing applications, repaired a friends J**p with this unit etc has made this unit very worth while for my needs. And if I end up throwing it in the trash (realistically speaking, harvesting it for parts) then I think I will have gotten my moneys worth out of it.

Again, if it were my paycheck, I wouldn't hesitate Miller/Lincoln/ESAB but considering that I am learning this skill and don't have the ability to attend a welding class due to my work schedule, I figured $750 was VERY reasonable compared to a $2,000 Diversion 180 or $5,000 Dynasty 280 TIG Runner. I expected to have to repair it by the time I used up 1 cylinder of Argon... Now I'm on my third and have only replaced consumables....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom