Aftermarket bumper vs. OEM (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm currently in "Discussions" with USAA concerning repairs on my 2010 Toyota Sequoia. They (USAA) Wants my repair shop to use an aftermarket bumper TO1100262C instead of the OEM bumper. The difference is les than $50, but it's the principal of using the right part for repair, not the cheaper part.

My question is: Has anyone gone through this and have experience with differences in these aftermarket bumpers vs. the OEM. I'm looking for weight difference, fit, size or anything I can use to show these aftermarket bumpers are not the right choice. Texas law is on my side if i can show a comparable difference. If I can show supporting information USAA sould be forced to use the correct OEM bumper 521590C909.

Any help would be much appreciated. We all try to keep our vehicles looking the best we can and the last thing we need are insurance companies doing what they've been doing for years.

Thanks

Photo 04.jpg

Photo 05.jpg

Photo 06.jpg

Photo 07.jpg

Photo 09.jpg

I'd just get OEM because why settle for a lesser aftermarket plastic bumper.

You always want it to be repaired back to original or better (subjective on metal etc).

You paid insurance on a vehicle with OEM parts, they should be replaced with OEM parts. Discussions with insurance companies are always a negotiation and it's always in their best interest to get you to accept the least expensive offering. Lots of people don't care or know what they can ask for and just agree to the first thing offered to them.

Is it just a plastic bumper cover, or is the real bumper the center section & they “plate“ the RR crossmember with a top & centercap & finish it with seperate endcaps?

- I’m in a Tundra, simple steel bumper / plastic tread topper out back - but my FZJ80 has the 4 -piece cosmetic cover like above.

I'd just get OEM because why settle for a lesser aftermarket plastic bumper.

You always want it to be repaired back to original or better (subjective on metal etc)
You paid insurance on a vehicle with OEM parts, they should be replaced with OEM parts. Discussions with insurance companies are always a negotiation and it's always in their best interest to get you to accept the least expensive offering. Lots of people don't care or know what they can ask for and just agree to the first thing offered to them.
This is the other driver’s insurance, but yes same applies. Fully aware I’ve done my research, what I’m hoping to find is supporting documentation on differences between OEM and the aftermarket part I listed.

I don't know what documentation you'll be able to find but it's definitely always a negotiation when it's the other guy's insurance. You'd be amazed at how much they are holding back from you once you start digging and negotiating. Hold your ground and insist on OEM.

I mean, unless they are offering up a sweet aftermarket off road rear bumper. ;)

This is the other driver’s insurance, but yes same applies. Fully aware I’ve done my research, what I’m hoping to find is supporting documentation on differences between OEM and the aftermarket part I listed.
Yup, you don't need to provide any documentation. If needs be, order the parts from Toyota find your own shop to repair it and make them pay it.

I don't imagine you'd need documentation. You had an original, it should be replaced with an original.

The aftermarket ones are likely nearly identical but fitment is likely slightly off, and the paint adhesion is likely not as good. Gussets and support material will likely be different as well.

— So is USAA your carrier or the other driver?

I’m newer to USAA, but I swapped because I got glowing feedback from all the policy holders - esp if you have a homeowner policy/damage to the house.

I’ve never had to file a claim, so no 1st hand experience there (knock on wood) 🤞

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom