Advice on New Mexico & Arizona in February...(Trails & parks) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all!

We will be traveling through Arizona & New Mexico for about 9 days in February in a basically stock 2012 TRD Tacoma 4x4. Aside from some very basic upgrades, 32" BFGs, Swing out tire carrier, extra fuel, full-size spare and some recovery gear.

We will be traveling from Florida spending most nights at state parks along the way. First real destination will be Tucson for a Rock & Gem Festival the better half wants to go to. We plan on staying Catalina State Park outside of Tucson, then working our way north and then back east into New Mexico.

Any advice for easy/mild OHV trails, scenic roads, great state parks, tips, etc etc would be great.
Thanks again!
~Al :beer:

Get a couple of 4x4 guide books like Wells and Massey write for AZ. Not sure if either has one for NM. Be aware that both states could be buried in snow above 5000 ft that time of year and headed north. I'd stay in the southern portions.

come armed. the areas in southern az are ripe with drug runners and smugglers. also, if you have the time look into el camino del diablo. a trail that's been here since the 1500s. made by the Spanish when they were looking for passage to the pacific. cool ride and lots of old grave markers out there. if you do it count on taking 2 full days if you only stop every now and then but if you plan on seeing everything out there take 3 days starting in ajo...
that time of year is when most of the illegals are crossing so a rifle is a good idea. if you decide to do it don't stop for anyone on foot. at least right next to them. keep going a couple hundred yards then stop. cb in or try to make a phone call to border patrol. reason being, drug runners often use decoys to trap people to take everything they have. it would be a good idea to have multiple vehicles that deep in the desert. maybe you can schedule a date and invite some of the members to make a convoy out of it...
the last time I did that run, at our first camp, in the middle of the night one of the guys woke up to 4 or 5 illegals taking his water and food. he fire shots into the air and they split with most of his food and water. we all had to pitch in to keep him fed and hydrated. no big deal. the real danger is the illegals. they will leave you for dead if you let them...

Dude, I used to live in New Mexico, and I had a totally different experience than Danthman114. Yes, it might happen but I have NEVER ever had anything sketchy happen. So , I say go for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom