Advice on GX470 purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello!

I'm new here and this is my first post. I'm big into camping and recently got interested in light off roading/overlanding and moved to Colorado. I'd like to purchase a GX470 sometime within the next few weeks.. My questions to you experts here are, how old is too old as far as purchasing a used GX470? Is a 2008 model significantly better than a 2006 or 2004? I have a few options in my area, but just wanted to post here and see what kind of responses I can get.

The two options I think I've narrowed it down too are a 2006 model with 86k miles, and the other is a 2008 with 103k miles, both are around $15,000. My mind tells me to go with the 06 because it's cleaner, and has less miles, but I'm just hesitant to buy a 14 year old car. Thoughts? Neither option has had the timing belt and/or water pump replaced yet.

Please post any and all advice/suggestions/questions to ask the dealer. Any responses are appreciated!

Hello!

I'm new here and this is my first post. I'm big into camping and recently got interested in light off roading/overlanding and moved to Colorado. I'd like to purchase a GX470 sometime within the next few weeks.. My questions to you experts here are, how old is too old as far as purchasing a used GX470? Is a 2008 model significantly better than a 2006 or 2004? I have a few options in my area, but just wanted to post here and see what kind of responses I can get.

The two options I think I've narrowed it down too are a 2006 model with 86k miles, and the other is a 2008 with 103k miles, both are around $15,000. My mind tells me to go with the 06 because it's cleaner, and has less miles, but I'm just hesitant to buy a 14 year old car. Thoughts? Neither option has had the timing belt and/or water pump replaced yet.

Please post any and all advice/suggestions/questions to ask the dealer. Any responses are appreciated!

I was in your shoes last month. I found a dealer locally in Addison TX who had 12 GX470’s all with varying years and mileage. I ended up with a 2008 w/169k miles because the service history was on time and compete which included two timing belt / water pump kit services and it drove like a brand new car. Everything was tight and responsive. I drove one with significantly less miles that felt “tired”. As far as the years go I’m sure these people here are experts but the only thing different I noticed between the 2006s and 2008s are cosmetic only items. Honestly 86k vs 103k mileage difference is minimal as long as the timing was done on the 103k and it isn’t beaten up mechanically.

My advice is to go with the one with the most complete (and on-time) service history and with the best looking/feeling steering and suspension. Obviously general used car buying rules apply as well. These are pretty bulletproof as long as the routine maintenance and service was done on time.

Last edited:
I was in your shoes last month. I found a dealer locally in Addison TX who had 12 GX470’s all with varying years and mileage. I ended up with a 2008 w/169k miles because the service history was on time and compete which include me two timing belt / water pump kit services and it drove like a brand new car. Everything was tight and responsive. I drove one with significantly less miles that felt “tired”. As far as the years go I’m sure these people here are experts but the only thing different I noticed between the 2006s and 2008s are cosmetic only items. Honestly 86k vs 103k mileage difference is minimal as long as the timing was done on the 103k and it isn’t beaten up mechanically.

My advice is to go with the one with the most complete (and on-time) service history and with the best looking/feeling steering and suspension. Obviously general used car buying rules apply as well. These are pretty bulletproof as long as the routine maintenance and service was done on time.

Thanks for the reply. I haven't driven any options yet, just been conversing with the dealers, getting prices, pictures, and inquiring about carfaxes, service history and trying to research. I'll have to get out this weekend and drive a few to see how they compare and if any feel "tired" like you described. I'm really attracted to these because like you said, they tend to be bulletproof as long as you take care of them and do preventative maintenance. If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for your 2008?

Regardless of model year or mileage, pay attention to a few “weak points”...
-check the under carriage closely for rust and corrosion. Avoid if possible.
-check codes. Get/borrow a good code reader (don’t trust the used car guys to shoot straight with you on codes...too easy to erase temporarily). A fairly common code that you might encounter informs you that the SAIS (secondary air injection system) is failing. This can put the engine into limp-home mode. Hewitt makes a good bypass system for SAIS, but it’s a few $ to buy, and takes a bit to install.
-confirm that 4-lo works, and center diff lock engages.
-make sure stock airbags on rear suspension are functioning (switch near gear selector), and aren’t leaking. If possible, take a measuring tape and measure clearance from top of rear tire to bottom of wheel well (both sides). Do this with motor running, so that the air pump has inflated the bags fully.
Then, after a day or more, take the same measurements, except with the motor cold. If the bags are leaking (1 of mine was), you’re measurements will show it. The OEM fix is $$$$. Most people opt to strip out the oem system and replace with quality shocks and springs. $$

There are prob other items I’m forgetting but these are a good start.

Thanks for the reply. I haven't driven any options yet, just been conversing with the dealers, getting prices, pictures, and inquiring about carfaxes, service history and trying to research. I'll have to get out this weekend and drive a few to see how they compare and if any feel "tired" like you described. I'm really attracted to these because like you said, they tend to be bulletproof as long as you take care of them and do preventative maintenance. If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for your 2008?

Oh and real quick register here and you can enter the VIN and see a more detailed service history (or lack thereof) including if any service was “refused”.

I paid $13k. Paint was immaculate 99% around with only a couple small scratches. I also got tint and headrest DVD players included. I paid that amount knowing it’s service history and how well it drove. Also mine was an AZ then TX vehicle, one owner.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all the replies and information/advice. I really appreciate it. I looked up all the GX470s in my area and ran their VIN numbers through the Lexus database.. LOTS of missing information. I think the first one I'm going to test drive now is a 2004 with 119k miles on it. Has tons of service history records and the timing belt has already been replaced. Trying to set up an appointment today. I'll keep you all posted on what happens. Thank you again very much!

Thank you so much for all the replies and information/advice. I really appreciate it. I looked up all the GX470s in my area and ran their VIN numbers through the Lexus database.. LOTS of missing information. I think the first one I'm going to test drive now is a 2004 with 119k miles on it. Has tons of service history records and the timing belt has already been replaced. Trying to set up an appointment today. I'll keep you all posted on what happens. Thank you again very much!

Good luck!!

Everything MrTorgue said +1.

The most important thing, obviously, is the integrity of the frame and the drivetrain. After that, the details kind of depend on how/if you plan to modify it. KDSS is a great system, but can limit suspension options if you plan to go high. If you don't plan to modify, it's a great pseudo-swaybar disconnect. If you want to change the stereo head unit, age doesn't matter. If you don't (like me) the infotainment is old, but serviceable and a newer model will have an Aux input jack. Otherwise, you see to be on the right track. Enjoy the hunt and good luck!

If well cared for these run reliably for 250K+ miles and some are near 400K. So 100Kish is still fairly low for these vehicles. Take your time and look for the lowest mileage and best maintained one from a low rust area that you can find. Unlike the 80 series these are still abundant though their popularity more recently is keeping the prices up a bit. I have noticed that GX470s with below 75K are advertised at a premium though what they actually get for them is reflected in Kelly BB and Edmonds. Consider looking in the western states like California, Oregon, and Washington where little salt is used during the winter. Often the undercarriages are as new with little or no rust. It may be worth flying out or having one shipped if this is a long term purchase for the right one IMO. This is a premium vehicle and most owners take really good care of them and a fully dealer serviced one is probably very safe purchase and they are still out there. If it's not well maintained just walk away...there is still plenty good ones to choose from.

Last edited:
If it's not well maintained just walk away...there is still plenty good ones to choose from.

^ I think this is the most important bit. There are plenty of these around to buy. So never settle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom