Adding Bluetooth to e7003 OEM Nav w/Sat Headunit in 2001 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bat Masterson

GOLD Star
Threads
Hi all,

I recently pickup a 2001 100 series and noticed the previous owner had installed what appears to be a 2005 era Toyota e7003 JBL Nav Radio with XM Satellite. It works fine and really enjoy the XM radio feature. I also like the Toyota OEM concept in this vehicle and looking to find a newer factory unit that might have the streaming bluetooth feature and would use the same connector/harness as they used on this e7003. I am not sure if they upgraded the amp on it but also note the front driver side speaker is completely blown (i.e. not working) and needs to be replaced so I will need to get that done as well.

Another option is to keep this unit and simply add a Vais Tech Bluetooth capability (SL3B). Vais tech confirms that will work and should just plug into the disc changer port which does not currently show up when Disc is pressed and assume this is because nothing is currently plugged into it.

So looking for some advice on the options:

1. Keep the e7003 and add Vais Tech SL3B and retain use of my XM Radio which is a must.
2. Replace e7003 with a newer Double DIN head unit that has XM and streaming bluetooth (2012+?)

Here is a picture of the current e7003 setup:

CruiserNave7003.jpg

I'm thinking, if you want to spend the cash, upgrade to something like the Pioneer with AppRadio (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/AppRadio). My logic for installing a dual din with screen was to cut down on clutter in the front (dash commander, Waze/*insert your favorite on-road GPS app here*/Motion X, back-up cam).

If you were going to stick with OEM, there is an adapter that hooks into the harness, I think. I've seen some guys on here talking about it. I belive it was on @GregLCA 's thread. The other question for the CD is, is it even wired for the CD player?

Of course as I say all this, I'm currently uninstalling my dual din and putting a single-din/CB in. So you know...:)

I was thinking about upgrading to an aftermarket but liked the idea of getting an OEM with bluetooth and going the easier route of plug and play. I did find the amp under the passenger seat and it appears to be the original JBL factory amp--I assume this truck had a non-nav JBL in it originally and they were able to reuse this for the e7003 NAV head unit. The Sirius/XM tuner is under there as well.

Leaning towards the Vais tech bluetooth add on as I still want to use this with my smartphone. That way I only have to replace blown speakers and plug and play on the bluetooth add-on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom