Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor 2000 LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think I have a bad APPS.
This week we've had some cold weather for ABQ (teens at night) while my LX was left overnight at work (normally it's in my garage at night). Back in town, jump in as usual and within a block or two it went into limp mode--no throttle whatsoever, just idle or slightly fast idle. CEL, Trac, VSC Off lights all came on. I was able to limp it back to my office and was fortunate to have my laptop with Techstream on it. TS showed 1120 and 1121 codes. I screwed around with it for a while in the cold making no progress, but after a while I told TS to clear the codes and it did. It ran fine the rest of the evening and back to work the next morning. Left overnight in the cold again, got back in town today and the same thing happened, but only 1120 code. I tried to clear the code and it would not clear. I left it to idle for a while and eventually I was able to clear it.

Some of the threads I've read for 98-99 LX says cold weather is a factor, and it seems to be a factor in this case, but only 2 experiences to compare. Techstream was able to give me some data on the APPS, but I have not found any testing or diagnostic specs to confirm the APPS is faulty. Anyone have any info on that?

According to this thread An illustrated guide to replacing your APPS - Part 1 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/an-illustrated-guide-to-replacing-your-apps-part-1.265475/page-4 the part number for my 2000 LX is 22060-50011. That part, OEM from Toyota or Lexus, looks to be around $350. Or I can buy a complete, brand new throttle body with that part and a TPS (22030-50142) for $430. Seems like a no-brainer, right? BTW, my LX has 260k.

Looking for diagnostic tips and/or advice on replacement parts.

Thanks!

I think I have a bad APPS.
This week we've had some cold weather for ABQ (teens at night) while my LX was left overnight at work (normally it's in my garage at night). Back in town, jump in as usual and within a block or two it went into limp mode--no throttle whatsoever, just idle or slightly fast idle. CEL, Trac, VSC Off lights all came on. I was able to limp it back to my office and was fortunate to have my laptop with Techstream on it. TS showed 1120 and 1121 codes. I screwed around with it for a while in the cold making no progress, but after a while I told TS to clear the codes and it did. It ran fine the rest of the evening and back to work the next morning. Left overnight in the cold again, got back in town today and the same thing happened, but only 1120 code. I tried to clear the code and it would not clear. I left it to idle for a while and eventually I was able to clear it.

Some of the threads I've read for 98-99 LX says cold weather is a factor, and it seems to be a factor in this case, but only 2 experiences to compare. Techstream was able to give me some data on the APPS, but I have not found any testing or diagnostic specs to confirm the APPS is faulty. Anyone have any info on that?

According to this thread An illustrated guide to replacing your APPS - Part 1 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/an-illustrated-guide-to-replacing-your-apps-part-1.265475/page-4 the part number for my 2000 LX is 22060-50011. That part, OEM from Toyota or Lexus, looks to be around $350. Or I can buy a complete, brand new throttle body with that part and a TPS (22030-50142) for $430. Seems like a no-brainer, right? BTW, my LX has 260k.

Looking for diagnostic tips and/or advice on replacement parts.

Thanks!

I also find the starter contacts fail in the winter weather! Yes, electronics and temperature are related. 260K miles also suggest it is time. Glad the issue came while you are in town. When I installed the throttle body, I also installed the oil filter coolent lines, coolant by-pass to throttle body hose and evap hose.

@nissanh thanks for the response. Did the TB come with the TPS and APPS as pictured on the Toyota site? Ex: 22030-50142 - Throttle Body - 1998-2002 Toyota | Boch Toyota South - https://toyotaparts.bochtoyotasouth.com/oem-parts/toyota-1998-2002-toyota-throttle-body-2203050142?origin=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6LyfBhC3ARIsAG4gkF_-iJoFlRypVZR6FuU2m30vQsRefLhRDfoHCClghXO8gB13M084MMIaAuYZEALw_wcB

Just seems crazy that it's only $70 more than the APPS itself.

Are all the hoses you replaced right there at the TB? It looks like some come with it, but I assume those are air or vacuum related.

@nissanh thanks for the response. Did the TB come with the TPS and APPS as pictured on the Toyota site? Ex: 22030-50142 - Throttle Body - 1998-2002 Toyota | Boch Toyota South - https://toyotaparts.bochtoyotasouth.com/oem-parts/toyota-1998-2002-toyota-throttle-body-2203050142?origin=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6LyfBhC3ARIsAG4gkF_-iJoFlRypVZR6FuU2m30vQsRefLhRDfoHCClghXO8gB13M084MMIaAuYZEALw_wcB

Just seems crazy that it's only $70 more than the APPS itself.

Are all the hoses you replaced right there at the TB? It looks like some come with it, but I assume those are air or vacuum related.
The small coolant hose (not included with the TB) connects the copper fitting on the TB to coolant bridge between the two banks.
Evap hose is attached to the top of TB.
There is about 2 inch coolant hose (have to purchase separately) from the thermostat housing to the T-junction where a line goes to the TB (hose comes with the TB) and another hose going into the oil cooler (must purchase separately)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom