AC Receiver/Evap unit replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So this little black cylinder things with the two pipes at the top and the glass window thats part of the AC system (not exactly sure what its called). While restoring my FJ62, I disconnected the AC Pipes in various places and then left the chassis for a while (months). I was talking to a guy that this is a bad idea for this evap unit, in that it dries out (Cause its no longer a sealed system) and needs replacing? Does anyone know about this? Also how would you seal it in future if I do this? Just stick a cork in the pipes?

Your AC system is a closed loop system. Any openings allow contamination to get into the system. Moisture is not good. I assume there was no charge left in the system when you disconnected it all? So it was probably compromised to begin with? Once you have it all fixed up and charged the goal is to not disconnect anything again unless it is absolutely required as you are by law supposed to reclaim the gas/freon before you disconnect. If it all leaked out previously than it is what it is. The aluminum tube you speak of with the sight glass is the Receiver Drier. Other parts may need to be replaced as well.....All of them are pretty much still available from Denso except the early fj60 condenser pre-85 like mine. There is a work around.
I would consider replacing the evaporator core and expansion valve as well (both under the dash). Was the system working previously?
I just replaced my entire system with hoses this past summer. Its a 60 so there are differences I am sure. But its recent for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom