AC lines source? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I finally found the leak on my AC, now I have to find a fix. I had a hell of a time finding it because the freon detector was telling me it was right at the point where the two lines connect to the condenser. No problem, I pulled both connections apart and replaced both orings. Pulled a vacuum that lasted a few hours and charged the system. Everything was great till the next day when the system was empty again. Wtf, over?

So I decided to go redneck and used a trick I just learned. Note: this is the redneck way, not the 'right' way to do this. I cross connected my compressor to the gauges and put 90psi into the system. This allowed me to find a leak at the hose to connector crimp coupling on the discharge of the compressor. And it was leaking at the crimp but the air was running inside the rubber sheath a ways before exiting the hose, where an outer protective sheath funneled it out the front of the engine bay where the two hoses connect to the condenser. The vacuum just sucked the rubber coating tight enough to stay airtight. Crafty little devil.

So now I need a new hose, problem is this part is NLA. So are folks finding AC shops and having these hoses made or is there somewhere on the internet I haven't found to get aftermarket hoses? I've looked at Rockauto, AutoZone, partsouq, eBay, etc. Can't find a hose anywhere. Any ideas?

My AC had a blown hose between condenser and compressor. Found a local shop that rebuilt it for me.

me too. my line got a nick in it and when it was really hot the rubber softened enough to let it rupture. local a/c shop was able to make me a new one no prob and i’ve been golden since. i don’t think they’re hard to fabricate

^^ Get them re-made using the factory fittings.

I found an old dude locally that works by himself in his magical awesome fabrication garage. He let me hang out while he rebuilt the AC lines, and he relocated the Hi/Lo schrader valve ports where they are super accessible. With the right tools the AC lines are pretty simple, definitely gotta have the right tools though. He built/brazed the new valve ports from scratch, routine stuff for fabricators, but still cool to watch it get done.

Cool old dude, he liked to fish, his boat in the garage had all kind of cool fab'd stuff on it. :cool:

You can look at ColeHose.com if you want that convenience of ordering online. You have to know what size fittings, hose length, and hose diameter but they have a guide for you to figure that out and put those in. They can make up new lines with shiny new fittings. The only downside is that they can’t make you up a hardline run if you need that. I just ordered 1 hose from them recently and it is well made. AC is blowing cold again.

You can look at ColeHose.com if you want that convenience of ordering online. You have to know what size fittings, hose length, and hose diameter but they have a guide for you to figure that out and put those in. They can make up new lines with shiny new fittings. The only downside is that they can’t make you up a hardline run if you need that. I just ordered 1 hose from them recently and it is well made. AC is blowing cold again.
It’s ColdHose.com lol typo

+1 for coldhose.com I just got four new ones made with mostly new ends (they had to reuse one) and it was like:) $2xx.

Possible for somebody to post the hose and fitting sizes, or perhaps the invoice/receipt so people will know for reference.

Cheers.

+1 for coldhose.com I just got four new ones made with mostly new ends (they had to reuse one) and it was like $2xx.
So four hoses for $200ish is pretty cheap. A decent crimping tool is about $150, then you still need the fittings, ferrals and hose. So me making my own would only make sense if I needed to make a lot of them. Thanks for that info Laz.

I just had a buddy of mine make all new hoses for my '87. All of the fitting sizes are readily available new, but the long curved hard line from the compressor to the condensor has to be replaced with a couple of pre-bent hard lines that are available off the shelf.

Sending the old hoses to Cold Hose is also a good option, but some of my fittings were not in good shape so I opted to go all new with new Galaxy R134 barrier hose.

I will ask him to send me all the fitting sizes and try to post it up along with his sources for parts.

I just had a buddy of mine make all new hoses for my '87. All of the fitting sizes are readily available new, but the long curved hard line from the compressor to the condensor has to be replaced with a couple of pre-bent hard lines that are available off the shelf.

Sending the old hoses to Cold Hose is also a good option, but some of my fittings were not in good shape so I opted to go all new with new Galaxy R134 barrier hose.

I will ask him to send me all the fitting sizes and try to post it up along with his sources for parts.
Thanks - for the condenser lines, do you think could they be replaced with soft lines given the correct fittings on each end? Could add rubber grommet on core support to prevent chafing.

I suppose you could, but if you buy a new condensor form Rock Auto it comes with the hard line already attached. Or you could source a good used one. I am sure Cruiseryard could sell you one.

I think I misunderstood your question about the lines. yea I think you could run the rubber hose through the opening in the core support if properly protected. But the angle of the line to the compressor probably would require at least one U shaped hard line to avoid potentially kinking the hose.

Th
I suppose you could, but if you buy a new condensor form Rock Auto it comes with the hard line already attached. Or you could source a good used one. I am sure Cruiseryard could sell you one.

Thanks, I have an 83 so factory replacement is the Denso 477-0155, which has different input/output elbow angles and doesn't have the hardline across the front. 0155 is NLA pretty much everywhere, so I will probably have to order the 0154 and use custom lines anyway.

Yea I discovered that as well with an '84 I own. You just have to go with the newer model condensor and make a line or buy a later model line with the large U shaped hard bend. I bought one from Cruiseryard recently.

+1 for local hose guy. Here in town we have a mobile hose guy and also a hydraulic shop that rebuilds these kind of hoses. This is a hose i had built by my local guy, he put new rubber on it, rebuildable crimps, braised a high pressure port, and braised a GM Pressure transducer port onto it. If all you are doing is replacing the crimped hose, it should be a really quick job for someone with the hydraulic crimper and if they know what they are doing

Ps9Pql5h.jpg

Here are the line items from my order from coldhose. Total was $211.

1663084301425.png

This included new hose and new ends for all of my existing hoses EXCEPT for the U-shaped hose which connects to the condenser, which as mentioned above, can't be sourced new. Also note that two of my hoses were extended, so don't rely on the lengths mentioned there. I have an aussie style air cleaner and needed to route my hoses to the evaporator around that.

PXL_20220827_204301903.MP (1).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom