A Question about Engine Paint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tony_Farson

Club President, Battle Born Cruisers
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
battleborncruisers.com
Hey everyone,

Good news! I was informed that my fresh 2F should be ready in about two weeks (or less???). I have a question. I have heard people say that it is a bad idea to paint an engine block with the gaskets installed because the paint can be picked up from outside, absorbed into the gasket. Then the paint dries out the gasket causing premature failure.

Is this legit? I have also read several threads and watched more than a few videos where "professionals" just spray over just about everything post assembly.

Never heard of that. If anything, the paint seals the gasket from absorbing things that get on the engine and prevents corrosion right next to the gasket.

Spot rust is normal. Knock off the big chunks, clean, prime, paint over it. Engines aren’t exposed to the same things as an undercarriage. They can rust but it usually takes neglect and time.

I have some spot rust on my engine, no I got that backwards, I have some paint spots on my engine. I am of the opinion that oxidized iron has better heat transfer characteristics than painted iron.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

On a related note, lighter colors make the engine easier to work on. I painted the 1FZ in whatever grey was available in engine paint. I have a SBC that I painted all black, it looks awesome, but it also does not reflect much light (duhh) to illuminate tools, bolts, leaks, etc...

On a related note, lighter colors make the engine easier to work on. I painted the 1FZ in whatever grey was available in engine paint. I have a SBC that I painted all black, it looks awesome, but it also does not reflect much light (duhh) to illuminate tools, bolts, leaks, etc...

That is an excellent point! I was thinking about a matte black block, oil pan, timing cover, and aluminum color for the head topped with a body color valve cover (and matte black powder coated valve bolts). I am ordering the tuned ceramic 2-piece header from Cruiser Solutions which has a polished ceramic powder coating and having my intake powder coated to match it. Maybe I will do the block in the body color too for the reasons you mentioned above. :hmm:

So not going with the rust patina option huh? .

I wish I could! All I have is cracked bondo for battle scars and I'd not enjoy faking it... Too much work to be a poser! :) I am still contemplating color choices too. It is either Sun Dune White (Beige), Fashion Green, Grayish Olive, or way off the reservation with Ford Grabber Blue. I ordered a Raptor Liner kit with four bottles and will mix up all four colors to shoot onto a substrate to see what looks best in the various textures. Hopefully that will help me make a final decision.

Matte black sticks to dirt like glue . Gloss colors will wash clean . Similar to flat and semi gloss house paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom