Builds A pig for Father's Day (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

some acreage for things like chickens and goats, and maybe a camel and a donkey;
You are getting deep into Scrapdaddy territory with this one.

As a side note he’s the same guy that told me a fully restoredFJ55 cost right around $5000.00 so we have that going for us…

You are getting deep into Scrapdaddy territory with this one.

As a side note he’s the same guy that told me a fully restoredFJ55 cost right around $5000.00 so we have that going for us…

It cost me $200 to have the air cleaner blasted and powder coated not counting my labor to disassemble and reassemble. So you’re saying it might not be possible to do the frame off for $4800? 😂

Looks like a sweet set up. We downsized from 9 acres in the country to 1 acre closer to town 5 years ago. It was more or less a financial decision with the first of a bunch approaching the college years. We were in country for 13 years with cows, chickens, and guineas. The kids look fondly on those years, but it was a lot of work and expense. I highly recommend it, though!

Got a crazy idea for those within driving distance to west TN. Would anyone be interested in a “barn raising” weekend on my 55? I’ve got a enough body work to keep 4-5 of us busy for a weekend. I hesitate mentioning it, but if there’s folks itching for doing a lot of the kind of work that at the end of the day you can see a lot of progress, my 55 can provide it. I’d provide all the beer and good food for everyone. Well, there’s the question. @scrapdaddy @WarDamnEagle,????

Hope I don’t offend anyone. Just a thought. Back to our regularly scheduled programming....

Looks like a sweet set up. We downsized from 9 acres in the country to 1 acre closer to town 5 years ago. It was more or less a financial decision with the first of a bunch approaching the college years. We were in country for 13 years with cows, chickens, and guineas. The kids look fondly on those years, but it was a lot of work and expense. I highly recommend it, though!

Got a crazy idea for those within driving distance to west TN. Would anyone be interested in a “barn raising” weekend on my 55? I’ve got a enough body work to keep 4-5 of us busy for a weekend. I hesitate mentioning it, but if there’s folks itching for doing a lot of the kind of work that at the end of the day you can see a lot of progress, my 55 can provide it. I’d provide all the beer and good food for everyone. Well, there’s the question. @scrapdaddy @WarDamnEagle,????

Hope I don’t offend anyone. Just a thought. Back to our regularly scheduled programming....

Our baby of 4 took his last final on Thursday so thankfully we are out of the university business. He had a full scholarship so he was by far the cheapest of the four. I think your wrenching weekend is a fabulous idea but unfortunately I am on standby to fly back to the desert and need to get this house closed and a few of my storage units moved.

I

If we were closer, we’d have to trade off every other go-round!

The kids look fondly on those years, but it was a lot of work and expense. I highly recommend it, though!

One final comment on this subject; I was more or less slave labor on "the family" farm from the 7th grade until I graduated from high school for my 3 uncles that ran the family farm. I wouldn't trade those years for anything and I learned a lot but I never looked back after leaving. In fact, I have never let my wife have more than a few tomato plants since we've been married. I don't think I'm growing nostalgic for cows and pigs but I could probably put up with a few animals at this point.

Pulled the front bumper yesterday. The bumper Reinforcement/winch mount plate that I bought will not go all the way in the bumper. He builds these for 40 bumpers and I naively assumed the 40 and 55 bumpers had the same profile which is clearly wrong. Probably needs to be at least 1/4” smaller.

Edit: I really hate it when I put out misinformation and feel compelled to correct it. I had a conversation with the gentlemen that fabricated the bumper reinforcement and winch mounting assembly. He agrees that it won't work for a 55 without some modification. However, during our conversation we both noticed that the bumper part number for the 40 and 55 are the same. I pulled the bumper again and think with a bit of persuasion the assembly would seat. It's about 1/2" shallower than the 55 bumper so it doesn't need to go all the way in.

As someone posted earlier, the winch will probably clear without frame extensions if the feet are more or less lined up with the front of the bumper and not the back. I want the bumper to look more or less stock and I want it tight and low so will likely go custom built. I don’t really want to cut my bumper up but could eventually go that way as well.

Just a couple photos for posterity.

6FC6B2ED-040A-461D-B05D-DFAC1AAA40C9.jpeg

27F0D036-2F81-4B07-9336-1E7A2F5AA0DF.jpeg

Last edited:
How far is it from seating? Looks like you could manually machine it down with a grinder top and bottom to get it to drop in the rest of the way. Once you started though, you’d be committed since you wouldn’t be able to return it.
If you’re not comfortable trying that or it verifiably wouldn’t work, take your bumper and that piece to a local welding/fabrication shop and have them build one just like it that fits your bumper and then send that piece back.
Don’t cut the bumper. No reason for that. Except for where wire rope comes through, obviously.

Once that piece is seated, does it bolt to the bumper or are you supposed to weld it in place?

Last edited:
How far is it from seating? Looks like you could manually machine it down with a grinder top and bottom to get it to drop in the rest of the way. Once you started though, you’d be committed since you wouldn’t be able to return it.
If you’re not comfortable trying that or it verifiably wouldn’t work, take your bumper and that piece to a local welding/fabrication shop and have them build one just like it that fits your bumper and then send that piece back.
Don’t cut the bumper. No reason for that. Except for where wire rope comes through, obviously.

Once that piece is seated, does it bolt to the bumper or are you supposed to weld it in place?

The clips for the 55 are set up differently than a 40 so you would have to modify the piece to get it to bolt in. Right now it fits tight between the frame rails but of course the 55 bumper bolts through the frame rails and outside the frame rails, not inside.

There is no way to clear the winch anyway unless you have the feet at or maybe as much as an inch in front of the bumper so you would have to cut more out of this bumper than just the cable opening or extend the bumper out about 3” +/- .

Clips? Oh, I didn’t see those.

Maybe I’m using the wrong word. I’m talking about the flange piece on the outside of the rails that is riveted to the frame that the bumper bolts to (See photo). The 40 has that flange set up inside and outside.

The fabricated piece would fit tight between the frame rails but would only bolt to the bumper and not to the frame unless you welded on some tabs to catch the bolt through the frame rails top and bottom. I originally thought that was the only modification I would have to make to use the winch mount.

67C799F9-9432-4A58-A8B6-EC5F3A75BAA9.jpeg

Edit: actually the 40 has an additional bracket on the top:

6616B9FD-4D41-437D-A95D-AF557089B321.png

Last edited:
Man, why you gotta be so far away? If you were closer, I’d totally hook you up. I’d just custom fab the works.

I would absolutely take you up on that offer. No hurry on my end to get this done. I think I’ll keep my eye open for another stock front bumper that I could cut up and have something custom fabricated. The ends of these pig bumpers don’t look that easy to replicate but maybe it would be easy for someone with skills....skills that I don’t currently have.:p

I also need to pull the bumper again and put the winch in the right location to make sure it would fit with the feet right at the front or at least figure out how much further forward they would have to be.

I edited the post above to show the 40 vs 55 bumpers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom