a 1997 Omani diesel 80 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It is much easier to route your 3" exhaust if you stay outside the frame an let it end just before the rear right wheel. One very open muffler will work well together with the turbo.

I picked up the Omani Diesel today to use as a daily driver. I think she needs the heavy duty transmission now. You have to be judicious getting into second.

We have the new Terrain Tamer springs and suspension items arriving on Friday; then the truck can get up to a normal height.

how's the power increase feel?

how's the power increase feel?
It is not there yet. I definitely feel a boost above 2K RPM but power below is not where it needs to be. The guys are saying it may be because of some of the functions that need to be implement such as a fuel restriction when you are at the end of the steering travel--or maybe the fuel restriction is there all the time. I'm not going to push it and it will be going back in for the Terrain Tamer items.

Nice. Look forward to seeing the continued progress.
I just sourced a 96 1HZ with aftermarket turbo from the GCC.

1000004240.jpg

1000004238.jpg

1000004236.jpg

That's a beauty!

I so prefer the 80 without all the plastic on the side! The Omani is going to get all that deleted when we get to the physical renovation. Did the seller tell you how much boost is on that 1HZ? I have a turbo kit going on my 1HZ pickup that is very conservative, meant for professional vehicle installation.

BTW, the Omani has developed a severe Death Wobble exactly the same as this AUS 80.

All the Terrain Tamer goodies are coming this week, including new springs, bushings etc. selected to account for the extra weight of the winch in front. I'm not trying to fix, just staying below 60kph until the truck goes in next week.

No idea on the boost. I purchased from a broker who didn't know. He had already replaced all the bushings and trailing arms, etc...I'll find out more when I get it into a good mechanic. No death wobble, very tight at 70mph+ and plenty of power for this manual 5spd. I have extensive undercarriage and suspension pics, let me know if you want to see anything particular?

No idea on the boost. I purchased from a broker who didn't know. He had already replaced all the bushings and trailing arms, etc...I'll find out more when I get it into a good mechanic. No death wobble, very tight at 70mph+ and plenty of power for this manual 5spd. I have extensive undercarriage and suspension pics, let me know if you want to see anything particular?
I'm glad you started a thread on the truck. Always interested in another manual diesel 80!

Last edited:
The guys are about to get to serious work on the Omani and try to sort out the power issue--and also the truck is getting pretty much an entire new Terrain Tamer suspension:
1696436632862.jpeg

This is actually a set of parts for the Omani and for Mister Blue, the 2003 diesel 105 that we really have not started on yet.
1696436700643.jpeg

1696436716463.jpeg

1696436726750.jpeg

1696436738743.jpeg

It has been a while since I last updated this. The Omani Diesel has taken a back seat to the Holy Truck (a petrol 80) because I am trying to ready the Holy Truck for shipment to Florida. Part of that was trying to figure out where we went wrong on the Terrain Tamer springs for the rears of the two 80s. Mister Blue, the 105 was just fine. Turned out we had ordered the 'comfort progressive' springs for the 105 but the 'heavy duty progressive' for the two 80s. The heavy duty springs were just too much without a heavy permanent load in the 80s. We've now ordered the comfort progressives for the 80s.

Anyways, the Omani Diesel is operable and the guys have been tuning the boost on the 24 valve turbo diesel.
1708876196361.jpeg

I took The Omani Diesel for the weekend to kind of assess where we are with the truck. Here are my observations:
  • The truck pulls to the right and the wheel is off by one spline I think.
  • The turn signal does not return to center in a turn
  • The wind noise is pretty bad with that rack on it.
  • It feels a little top heavy, but I think that is the rack. With the softer springs from the 105 it felt better and It did not feel squirrely to me, or at least not that I could tell
  • The back door latches need adjustment--they don't close properly and the door ajar warning is on intermittently
  • And maybe the oddest thing... It feels like one of the brakes is on slightly. On level ground it comes to a halt just a little too fast when the clutch is out
  • I think there may be something off on the tach. Yesterday I was on the highway and going 100kph indicated (about 98kph actual) and the RPM was showing about 2400 I think, and the turbo would kick in between 2K through 3K RPM. Today it is reading about 400 RPM lower than that. Which I don't get because this thing is digital. Idle is indicating at 400 RPM and it sure does not sound like 400. We need to verify the tach.

The thing takes some getting used to in terms of driving. All the power is between (yesterday at least) 2 and 3K RPM. Requires a different style of driving. But it is very nice on the highway, and in a short loop I measured it at 7.6 km/liter or 17.9 MPG. Might be a few percent off, but I LOVE that fuel economy, even if diesel is more expensive. Stop and go traffic is not a joy because of the short power bands and the way it is geared, but Its not meant to be a commuter. And when that turbo comes on, it is a well-behaved hoot!

As mentioned in the video, the EGT gets up to about 625C with .72 bar of boost if you gun it on the highway. This is 1150F and 10 PSI, which is just fine. Factory is 7 PSI on this HDJ81, and you really have to gun it to get up to that 10 PSI. The power drops off about 3500 RPM, but again, I kind of expected that, and it is a really nice feel on the highway.

Lots of squeeks and rattles in this old truck, but we have not even begun to look at the inside of the truck, where most of this seems to be from.

Has anyone looked upstream on the fuel system on the diesel?
Make sure the pickup in the tank isn't obstructed.... also what size fuel feed line is running from the tank forward?
I was told to run 1/2" all the way from the pickup inside the tank forward to the IP when swapping in an ft into a gasser just to be safe.

Last edited:
Has anyone looked upstream on the fuel system on the diesel?
Make sure the pickup in the tank is on obstructed.... also what size fuel feed line is running from the tank forward?
I was told to run 1/2" all the way from the pickup inside the tank forward to the IP when swapping in an ft into a gasser just to be safe.
The Omani started life as a 1HZ diesel so the fuel lines all should be fine. That is, unless they are obstructed like those in the Holy Truck.... Thank you for mentioning this.

The 1HZ fuel lines are potentially too small - Toyota changeed to 12mm lines for the turbo diesels in about 11/92 to resolve a surging issue.

Also sounds like she needs the boost compensator adjusted, an FT will pull well below 2k rpm with a free-flowing exhaust and properly adjusted compensator.

The 1HZ fuel lines are potentially too small - Toyota changeed to 12mm lines for the turbo diesels in about 11/92 to resolve a surging issue.

Also sounds like she needs the boost compensator adjusted, an FT will pull well below 2k rpm with a free-flowing exhaust and properly adjusted compensator.
Thank you Aussie! That is just the kind of info I was hoping to attract. I so so appreciate Mud and help like what you just provided. Thanks mate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom