'98 Cruiser Stock Radio or AMP Dead (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First, I have searched here and elsewhere to troubleshoot this issue and get close, but not quite. Every time I get close, it comes down to reading a thread about how much "stock" sucks and you should replace everything with XY&Z - Crutchfield, and then turns into a how to modify wiring harnesses to make all of that work.

So, my stock radio/tape/single CD player head unit stopped working. Intermittently at first, for weeks then nothing. So no sound, nothing on LCD, power antenna does not work using manual up/down buttons. Fuses appear good both in the engine compartment and in drive side foot well. The cigarette lighter still works (who knew) and outside temperature LCD works.

Being either smart or dumb, I ordered a refurbed stock head unit (56808) - I like the way it looks - shoot me. installed it and... nothing. So, it must be the AMP, right? From what I have read it actually supplies power to both the head unit and the antenna. So, is that the only logical thing to be wrong? Or is there some other mystery inline fuse some place.

Any way to actually test the AMP? I am not a tech and do not have any meters.

Oh, and my sunroof leaks, doesn't open or close but makes sound when pressing slide button but no sound when pressing tilt button. I don't think related, but who knows.

Hello CameraCruiser - i know this post is old but I just came across it and I am having the exact same problem. Did you ever figure this out? Any info would be so helpful, thanks!!

It was the amp, not the head unit. So i just googled "amp for 98 land cruiser" and found several online sellers that basically fix old amps and resell them. Still working!

I do not recall the vendor, but there were many. I took out the passanger front seat to replace it. Since it was OEM, if plugged right in.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom