For Sale '97 Dodge Cummins truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am putting my '97 Ram CTD up for sale/trade. It is a great truck and still in good shape, just don't need it any more and looking to down size. I am the second owner of the truck, the original owner being Joe Donnelly (Joseph Donnelly on TDR) The truck was the first diesel pickup to make 800 at the wheels on a single turbo and no nitrous or Meth. The current configuration made 633HP at the wheels when Joe had it but the local import shop was only able to pull 594 and 1086 ft/lbs out of it when I took it in. The truck has been my daily driver for the last 5 years and runs great. It tows awesome as well.

'97 Dodge Ram CTD

-Clock reads 210,000 miles but I never calibrated the speedo after changing gears so it's closer to 200,000 miles.

-Nv4500 rebuilt at about 128,000 with fully splined main shaft, dual fast coolers (adds roughly 2 qts.) short throw kit from '98 trans, and custom Sach's brass/ceramic 13" clutch

-NV241 HD rebuilt at about 128,000

-Dana 60 front with new brakes (new rotors, calipers, pads w/in last 3 months), Mag Hy-Tec cover, 3.54 gears

-Dana 80 rear end, good brakes, Mag Hy-Tec cover, 4.10 gears and limited slip.

-Motor: Short block rebuilt/balanced @ 133,000, Killer dowel pin retained by set screw, ported ATS exhaust manifold (same from 800 RWHP combo), Custom Bell modified turbo based on HX55, Full 5”" exhaust from the turbo-back with stainless steel tip, Diesel Dynamics bolt and press fit retained camshaft, ported cylinder head w/ 60 psi valve springs (same from 800 RWHP combo) w/ valve job @ 133,000, head studs installed, baffled oil pan, block stiffener plate, bung for twin turbo oil drain near top of pan (modded while he had the motor torn down), balanced and maximized 913 injection pump, 370 marine pistons, AFE air filter and box,

-More: Dual Optima Red Tops, Transfer Flow 54 gallon replacement fuel tank (the in bed tank is not included), tires are about 3/4 tread, bed spray lined, CB mount plate between front seats, Predator 10K CB antenna, Wires run for CB, Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller, trailer hitches front and rear.

The Bad- obviously the front end needs to be re-geared. The headliner is separating over the back seat. The paint on the cab, hood, and fenders is flaking and peeling like many Dodges of this era. The last is the generator and voltage regulator. The "gen" light has been on and the dash guage reads roughly 16.5 volts but I haven't been able to figure out why. I have tested the charging system on multiple occasions and every time it reads 14.7 volts. I have recently put in a new alternator and voltage regulator (has external reg mod as factory reg is part of the computer, factory wires still there) and still get the same reading on my hand held meter.

I'm looking for $12,000 OBO. The only trades I'm interested in are for an extra or double cab Tacoma, either 4wd or a pre-runner. I might consider a 3rd Gen extra cab Toyota depending on what it is. Looking for a good DD built or not.

IMG_47700210-1.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. I would buy it in a second if I could. I miss my 97 built as well. I also had a gear vinder in mine. I replaced it with a 06 mega cab, that truck was a joke compared to my 97. Towing the same 36' toy hauler 5th wheel I got 6-8 mpg w/gear vinder. The 97 would get 12+mpg. I sold the 06 with 10k miles. What cam plate and injectors do you have?

Good luck with sale

Very nice. I would buy it in a second if I could. I miss my 97 built as well. I also had a gear vinder in mine. I replaced it with a 06 mega cab, that truck was a joke compared to my 97. Towing the same 36' toy hauler 5th wheel I got 6-8 mpg w/gear vinder. The 97 would get 12+mpg. I sold the 06 with 10k miles. What cam plate and injectors do you have?

Good luck with sale

The fuel plate is a modified #0 and the injectors are honed 370 marine injectors.

After running heavy machinery and trucks for a living I can only imagine what this poor little dodge has gone through.

Yes this truck is a complete pile, that's why I'm asking $12K. :rolleyes:

All of the mods and tuning that were done on this truck were done prior to the complete motor rebuild, trans rebuild, and t-case rebuild roughly 75,000 ago. The truck had over 500 dyno pulls to test many different variables even down to which type of gear oil stayed the coolest while freeing up the most power.

Since I've owned the truck, it has been on the dyno once and daily driven the whole time. It is not raced around town by any means and I'm not some punk kid you see standing on it to get it to blow smoke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom