'95 Taco wheel bearing questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

I know my way around FJ40s but I'm still learning about my Taco. It's a '95 4WD 3.4L V-6. I just put on a new set of tires and had the front end aligned and the shop that did the alignment told me the right front wheel bearing was roaring and needed to be replaced. They couldn't do the job for a week or so and my workspace is snow covered so took it to a nearby shop. They told me the bearing was noisy but no play and that it was a sealed bearing pressed into the steering knuckle and they would have to remove the knuckle and send it to their machine shop to have it pressed out which couldn't be done until next week. They quoted me $214.60 parts (bearing and I assume snap rings, oil seals, etc) and $267 labor (3 hours at $89/) for a total with tax of about $540 but they said they wouldn't charge me all the tax and bottom line would be around $450.

At that price I might wait until spring and do it myself but I'm confused about a couple of things:
1) does my '95 have a sealed bearing or a more conventional type that I could repack? According to my Haynes, the '96 4WD has the sealed bearing. The shop gave me a copy of a parts diagram from ALLDATA for a 5VZ-FE 4WD that shows a sealed bearing. I saw a Koyo on on the web for a '95 for about $55, does that seem reasonable?
2) does the knuckle really have to come off to replace the bearing? Is a machine shop necessary or can I press out the old bearing/outer race with the knuckle off using my vise?
3) how or where can I find the manufacture date on the Taco? I know where to find it on my FJ40 and I know a lot of mid-year changes were made on 40s but don't know if that's true for Tacos. I understand that '95 was a transition year for Tacos.

Thanks guys and sorry for the long post.
Pete

At that price I might wait until spring and do it myself but I'm confused about a couple of things:
1) does my '95 have a sealed bearing or a more conventional type that I could repack? According to my Haynes, the '96 4WD has the sealed bearing. The shop gave me a copy of a parts diagram from ALLDATA for a 5VZ-FE 4WD that shows a sealed bearing. I saw a Koyo on on the web for a '95 for about $55, does that seem reasonable?
2) does the knuckle really have to come off to replace the bearing? Is a machine shop necessary or can I press out the old bearing/outer race with the knuckle off using my vise?
3) how or where can I find the manufacture date on the Taco? I know where to find it on my FJ40 and I know a lot of mid-year changes were made on 40s but don't know if that's true for Tacos. I understand that '95 was a transition year for Tacos.

Thanks guys and sorry for the long post.
Pete

1: It's a sealed bearing and $55 for the koyo sounds about right.

2: The knuckle must come off....there is about zero percent chance of pressing it out and in with a vise......takes a 40 ton press.

3: 95.5 is the first year of the tacos.....you should find a vin tag inside the drivers door jamb. The transition was from the "truck" to the tacoma.

Also....get you a FSM from here.
Toyota Tacoma/ 4Runner/ Tundra/ FJ Cruiser Factory Service Manual Page
The Haynes makes better kindling than anything else....imo.
:cheers:

1: It's a sealed bearing and $55 for the koyo sounds about right.

2: The knuckle must come off....there is about zero percent chance of pressing it out and in with a vise......takes a 40 ton press.

3: 95.5 is the first year of the tacos.....you should find a vin tag inside the drivers door jamb. The transition was from the "truck" to the tacoma.

Also....get you a FSM from here.
Toyota Tacoma/ 4Runner/ Tundra/ FJ Cruiser Factory Service Manual Page
The Haynes makes better kindling than anything else....imo.
:cheers:

Thanks, and you're right about the Haynes, just picked it up locally for the basics. I have the original widow sticker which shows Model/Year: 7553A/1995 and Tacoma 4x4 V6. I guess this means I've actually got a 95.5, correct? I didn't see the tag but I'll look again.

Thanks, and you're right about the Haynes, just picked it up locally for the basics. I have the original widow sticker which shows Model/Year: 7553A/1995 and Tacoma 4x4 V6. I guess this means I've actually got a 95.5, correct? I didn't see the tag but I'll look again.

They are almost always refered to as "95" only....They are usually called 95 truck and 95 Tacoma
Look on the body side jamb, not the door side....if that makes sense.
But yeah, I'd say you have a 95.5
I don't know if there were even any differences at all between 95 and 96 model years. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom