95 t100 3.4 no start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my rear end grenaded on me on the highway one day, got it towed home and it still ran perfect after that day. It sat for a few weeks and I just let it idle for 20-30 minutes for once or twice a week when I was home until it started running rougher and rougher until no start.

I saw the timing marks were off about 45 degrees but still in sync with each other AND I had orange spark. So I replaced the coils, plugs and wires as well as doing a timing belt, water pump and the whole nine yards.

Still no start... I checked the cam sensor, crank sensor and know for a fact the marks are spot on for the timing. Obd2 shows no codes (as t should being obd1 correct?) and no codes with the thing in the engine bay jumped and jet turned, because it does absolutely nothing. However the engine light is always on and not malfunctioning.

I am kinda thinking one of my cams are 180 out because it seems to crank funky like maybe a bit fast... does anyone have any idea or can you give me a picture or tell me where the lobes need to be pointing and on which cylinder (#2?) so I can rule this out before I put new valve cover gaskets on it?

No pics because I guess I don’t have enough posts or something because it keeps failing

I am not sure if this will be helpful, but I'll try.

First--you should have fixed the no start condition before tearing everything else apart--you have exponentially complicated the troubleshooting process.

Second-- Your original problem was one of the classic 3--air, fuel, spark. Since you have addressed the spark side(assuming you have blue spark now) I'd look at the fuel side to ensure you have the correct fuel pressure. Also check the MAF to ensure it is clean and functioning.

Now the bad part--all of that may be worthless if you didn't reassemble everything correctly. Do you have the FSM for your truck? If not, get one. Post up if you don't have one or can't find one and I can probably find one over on tacoma world that will work for your truck.

So, my advice is to verify that the engine is put together correctly and then start troubleshooting the starting issues.

Good luck!

Dan

That does help me, thank you.

Another question if you have a second, have you ever heard of a cam on these engines being installed incorrectly after a head gasket or anything to where the factory marks aren’t correct? I assumed the cams jumped timing but now I’m not so sure that they weren’t correct and the marks are just wrong since they were still in sync with each other after the crank was set to tdc.

More importantly... I’ve had cars that ran without a maf sensor, sometimes better when it was faulty. On these cars, will they not run with a bad maf sensor?

I do have a fsm and have checked a lot of the stuff regarding ignition and cam/crank sensors, tps sensor, resistance on ignition components like wires and coils (which were replaced). This might be wrong but the vehicle doesn’t even catch with a shot of starter fluid so I’m kinda ruling that out for now. I will buy a pressure tester tomorrow and get back to that.

If it won't catch with starter fluid and you have spark, it is definitely put together wrong. It has been ten years since I worked on my 3.4 but almost every type of engine has been put together weird by somebody. In this case it is hard to say what happened--your original no start condition was *probably* not due to jumping time. That is a very rare occurrence in a 3.4. since the fsm setup doesn't seem to work, can you set it up so that it is the same as it originally was? You might also check with the guys on Tacoma world as there are lots of 3.4 gurus over there.

Also, I've never tried to run one 8f these without the maf, but I doubt it would run.

Thanks for the response kliers. I can set it back close to where it was set up initially but the only mark is a colored splotch on each cam gear the size of a quarter.

I haven’t had a chance to mess with it. It I did get the intake and valve covers the other day and am going to Pull my extra motor apart and see where the cams and lobes are sitting compared to mine with the factory marks to rule that out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom