91 Prado 2L-TE Major smoke on cold start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After 5 years of enjoying my 71 FJ40 I bought on impulse a 91 Prado 2L-TE RHD 60K miles. Great shape bodywise with new head, belts and timing chain.
Pretty much within a week I was getting a lot of smoke on cold start. Starts with heavy black, then after 30 seconds its white then after 2 mins it disappears. No issues with power. At engine temp 55 degrees its much better, it smokes for about 30 seconds and goes from black to white to clear. See pics 1-3 at 10 second intervals.
Had glow plugs replaced, then rebuilt injectors, rebuilt fuel pump, timing checked, pressure tested, fuel lines replaced, all filters changed and much more. The cost was substantial. I admit I failed to do the research on the 2L-TE, its on me. Anyway I need help. Does anyone have any idea what I should look at next, turbo, EGR ??. or something simple hopefully. Any help appreciated.
Thanks

exhaust1.PNG

exhaust2.PNG

exhaust3.PNG

Do you have a video of the engine sound and smoke when you have one of these tough starts? Usually these sorts of problems are related to the glow system or air in the fuel lines. The emissons system can also cause this problem if it starves the motor of air (electronic throttle not working right). Most of us remove the emissions stuff (EGR) and the throttle plates.

Thanks for the quick response
I will upload a video shortly

Here is a video of a semi cold start (55degrees)
Will get a zero degree video later today
thanks for the assist

video shows cold start after 5 hours sitting

Do you have a video of the engine sound and smoke when you have one of these tough starts? Usually these sorts of problems are related to the glow system or air in the fuel lines. The emissons system can also cause this problem if it starves the motor of air (electronic throttle not working right). Most of us remove the emissions stuff (EGR) and the throttle plates.
Hi
I posted a couple of videos on the thread that show the cold start. Would you mind taking a look when you get a moment. Incidentally, last evening the engine overheated (on red line with steam under the hood). I shut down immediately. No coolant in the expansion tank after it cooled, I forgot to check the dipstick. Will do today. Head was replaced a year ago before I bought it.
thanks

Hi
I posted a couple of videos on the thread that show the cold start. Would you mind taking a look when you get a moment. Incidentally, last evening the engine overheated (on red line with steam under the hood). I shut down immediately. No coolant in the expansion tank after it cooled, I forgot to check the dipstick. Will do today. Head was replaced a year ago before I bought it.
thanks

None of your video links are working for me.....

The overheating situation you had really does not sound good. Especially if you had a new cylinder head put on so recently. Number one thing that comes to mind, is have you checked to see if your viscous clutch fan is working right? With everything working right, it should be virtually impossible to overheat.

None of your video links are working for me.....

The overheating situation you had really does not sound good. Especially if you had a new cylinder head put on so recently. Number one thing that comes to mind, is have you checked to see if your viscous clutch fan is working right? With everything working right, it should be virtually impossible to overheat.
sorry about the links
I will try a new format
I too was dreading the overheating. On Friday I checked the oil, deep black and viscous with no traces on collant (I may have overlooked the oil change in the past 3 months- but will get it done). Anyway, after i filled the rad with coolant and ran the engine, i discovered a broken hose with fluid spraying out . 10 minute fix and drove without any problem over the weekend. Back to the smoke for now. Hopefully i can upload videos today. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom