‘86 pickup refurbish with the kid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings all,

Long time 2nd gen owner, but I haven’t had one in a few years (sold my ‘94 to buy a Tundra when we were having a kid. Why’d I do that again? Sell the truck I mean).

I will be picking up an ‘86 with 114K on it, on Saturday (price was too good to pass on). My intention is to get this truck back up to snuff, and work on it as a project with my 14yr old. When he is 16, we will see where we are at ;) Will mostly keep the truck stock and use as a DD, ski area transport, and driving on logging roads to camping/fishing spots.

Owner said the 22R “blew a head gasket”. Apparently the temp gauge went up, and then he found “water” in the oil. I’m kind of wondering if this is actually a TC issue, and not an HG. Could be one or the other, or even both, in theory.

What I am looking for is opinions from this group: assuming that either the TC or the HG need to be replaced (would likely do both anyway), should I look into getting a 22RE and get rid of the R? How touchy are the carbs on these motors? I have worked on the 20R and the 22RE, but never really the 22R.

Thanks!

What's a TC?

Weber carbs are a no-brainer but I don't know what emissions regs are like there.

I'd suggest replacing both. I just did a quick HG on mine and now I have to tear it apart due to an audible TC slap.

I'd suggest replacing both. I just did a quick HG on mine and now I have to tear it apart due to an audible TC slap.
Yeah, I think that’s what I will do. Might as well while I am in there. Any thoughts on putting in an RE to replace the R? Worth the time and effort, or not really?

2961EAB8-7DBB-43EC-8869-F83011F8F1D5.jpeg
Pic from this weekend. The boy in the truck, offloading from the trailer.

Having fuel injection is definitely a plus to ME but, I recommend getting a complete donor if you go that route. You need a lot of parts and wiring. If you're going to be wheeling at extreme angles that the carburetor has trouble with, maybe it's something you want to pursue. Otherwise might not be worth the effort and expense to YOU.

Either way, good luck with your father/son project.

Having fuel injection is definitely a plus to ME but, I recommend getting a complete donor if you go that route. You need a lot of parts and wiring. If you're going to be wheeling at extreme angles that the carburetor has trouble with, maybe it's something you want to pursue. Otherwise might not be worth the effort and expense to YOU.

Either way, good luck with your father/son project.
Thanks!

Only plans are light wheeling, when trying to get somewhere. No plans to need a tilt-o-meter ;) Think I will keep the carbed motor and get it back up and running. Finding a donor truck in my area, that has a decent 22RE, plus wiring, and is a reasonable price, is a tall order.

I wheeled the poo out of my old '85 22R powered truck and the carb rarely drew any attention to itself. It ran when the only thing visible out the windshield and driver's side window was blue sky, while all I could see out the passenger's window was the rocks I almost rolled onto. Stalled every once in a great while but always restarted, even at crazy angles. I considered converting to EFI, but from a cost/benefit perspective ... well, I never got around to it. Sadly, East Coast salty winter roads ate that truck. Current mini is 22RE powered and I've driven other EFI trucks, and yeah, EFI is better. But as AZTOYMAN says, it's up to YOU. Just food for thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom