86 k30 death wobble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads
Hi just returned from a trip of about 800 miles. Was only about a block from my house and the truck developed a terrible death wobble. This was not a slight front wheel shimmy, but a gut wrenching, tooth jarring wobble. The entire truck shook like it was going to come a part. I stopped, the wobble went a way. I proceeded on home with only 2 stop signs ahead. . At the next stop the truck did it again. The second stop no wobble. I raised the truck up today and put it on jack stands. I had a friend turn the wheel and I watched for anything that looked abnormal. Everything seemed to be pretty good. I checked the bolts on the steering box, and they were tight. I checked the steering dampener and it was a little weak, so I replaced it. I noticed the front tires which have only about 7000 miles on them looked to be wearing a little unevenly. The center is a bit higher then the outsides. I attributed this as maybe being a bit low on pressure. I was running them at 45psi before the trip. I raised up the pressure to 55psi for the trip. The tires are 235/85 Wranglers. I checked the toe in and it seems to be close to 3/16 inch.
Well after all was looked at I decided to take it for a drive again. I let down the passenger side. While in the process of removing the jack stand from the driver's side, the shock on the passenger side started leaking. The oil in the KYB Monomax all ran out. Now I am wondering if the shock was the cause of the death wobble or should I be looking at something else.

Sorry for the long post
Brad

I had the same thing happen on my 78 K20. What it turned out to be was a module in the distributor. It is very rare for it to go out, but my pickup did the same thing, I replaced it and it has been fine for the last two years.

Well I replaced the shocks with some Doetsch Tech pre runner-soft shocks That seemed to alleviate the problem. I drove about 60 miles right after the shock swap and there was not a problem. There was a small vibration at about 40 mph. I am wondering if I lost a wheel weight. That coupled with the failing shock may have been the problem. I am going to have the front tires balanced again and see if I can get it to smooth out.

A note for information. The Doetsch Tech shocks are terrific They are twice as beefy as the KYB Mono Max.
Thanks Brad

This is a common problem. Check your frame behind your gearbox. If it is cracked ther is a company that deals only with chevy 4x4. They sell a frame gusset kit. If it is still doing it. Ben.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom