80 shock thread - familiar territory could use update (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hamishpotter

SILVER Star
Threads
Instead of continuing to hijack @yohavos fantastic LX450 Ute thread to discuss shock upgrades I'm posting a new thread on a well-worn topic. This is not new but much of the info I've read is from a few years back so maybe there is new data / products / feedback from the community..

I've got a semi- built '96 80 on OME 2.5" Mediums and normal length Nitrochargers. Weight with me and some stuff is around 5250. I'm not so happy with my shocks - it just seems more jarring than it should be - and am looking into Fox / Icon / Radflo / King options, either 2.0 or 2.5. Where we left off on the last thread was chatting with @bugsnbikes about 2.0's being good for 5200 or lighter, 2.5s for 5500 and heavier.

I'm wondering if that's true, whether going with 2.5s (overkill) will still be an improvement over 2.0s..

I may also add more weight down the road, like a nice roof rack, and haven't added my PUMA yet. Then add my girlfriend and we're over 6000 ; )

edit: am on 315/75/16 Duratracs

Any thoughts by members with intel or experience would be appreciated. I don't have unlimited funds, but if it were to dramatically improve my ride, on pavement as well as off, I'd consider 2.5s etc.

Thanks!

J

Last edited:
I bought the slee 6" kit and it came with the ome nitros as well, and they suck! Jarring and really hard hitting are a multiple times daily occurrence. I had ranch 9k's on an old rig and loved them. Those are in my mind, but I want to know what the folks with 6" kits are running and whats the better and best options. Tired of teeth chatter, input welcome! 6" slee kit on 37's here.

I'm quoting @bugsnbikes response to the other thread below. I might consider this, but I know nothing about these springs. I have heard and suspect that a more progressive spring might make a big difference, but would like to explore shocks too

-------------

the best "feel" will be with a Frankies style progressive wound spring. The Frankies compared to OME is where you will notice more of a difference than shocks. At 5200-5500lbs- the Frankies have that stock spring plushness thru most of the travel but ramps up to keep dive and orig spring bottomout wallow at bay.

if you can find out from Frankies Offroad - who was winding his springs for him ( i seem to recall it was a California based company) you might be able to get a set direct or twist Frankie to get another set.

If i were you- id get a group buy thread going and see if you can get 10 people interested in sets of Frankies springs........and approach him with 5-10+ buyers to make it worth his while. I would be in for another set for sure for my fzj55.

I bought the slee 6" kit and it came with the ome nitros as well, and they suck! Jarring and really hard hitting are a multiple times daily occurrence. I had ranch 9k's on an old rig and loved them. Those are in my mind, but I want to know what the folks with 6" kits are running and whats the better and best options. Tired of teeth chatter, input welcome! 6" slee kit on 37's here.

I run 37s (13.5) Toyos with Frankies 3.5" and 30mm spacer comfortably......and previously fit 38.7 michelin xmls with same setup. (rear fenders trimmed up to wheelwell lip and fronts to match. plenty of clearance and basically stock plushness on road/ highspeed fireroad chop)

Id say if you are under 5800lbs.........and you want a more plush ride- this may be a solution to rattly teeth and dental work :)

ive run these springs between 5000 and 5700lbs and perform great in both and ideal in the upper half of that weight range imho

Last edited:
Tempting @bugsnbikes - and I would not mind an extra inch of travel. Do you have a link for these guys, or any other info? Might consider a group buy if prices are terrestrial..

Also adding this quote from the original thread location..

thank you @mryanangel:
-----------------
"Tire size does not factor into shock valving or spring rates. Both are based upon your sprung weight, which your axles are not a part of.

I have quad bypass king 3.0's with some pretty aggressive valving on my Ram 2500 and they do a wonderful job of soaking up the bumps at speed. I would imagine that 2.5's on an 80 would give a relatively similar ride."

I have the Old Man Emu shocks that came with the lift kits still running on both of my trucks. That said, they're starting to get tired. It has a bit more 'after bounce' than it used to. I did like the way they rode all of these years though. I think that getting the right tire, spring and shock combination right can be a challenge. Tires ARE part of the suspension on these trucks. But then, to get compliance out of your springs it should be somewhat matched to weight too.

I have 35" Goodyear Duratrac tires on an OME 2.5" Heavy duty springs with OME shocks and a lot of weight. Fully loaded to 7200 lbs rolling it's level to slight rear dip.

My wife's is on 31" Goodyear Duratrac tires on an OME 0" Heavy duty springs with OME shocks and NO added weight. It might sound like it would be harsh, but it's not a bad ride and far flatter in the corners than the stock springs.

Still running 4 year old rancho 9K's, added 315/75's couple weeks ago and still pretty happy with the ride, pretty loaded too with full armor, winch, and drawers stuffed full of heavy crap on OME 850/863.

My next move was to a remote reservoir but I don't have coin for Icon stage 2's, @ $500/per corner it's just not in my budget anytime soon.

Tempting @bugsnbikes - and I would not mind an extra inch of travel. Do you have a link for these guys, or any other info? Might consider a group buy if prices are terrestrial..

Frankie's Off Road Add a Photo Contact 740 Steele Station Rd Rainbow City, AL 35906 (256) 413-8300 http://www.frankies4x4.com

Website is gone..... he stopped producing these a few years ago- but u may try his number to see if he has the contact for the Spring maker/winder.

I contacted 'Lagwagon' here on mud to see if he can recall which spring-maker he used for his set that he seemed to think was same one Frankie used. I will post up if he gets back to me.

Good point. I should agive Christo a call he usually has good input. Will report what I find

I have fox 2.0 reservoir shocks and they feel much better but with 850j/863 spring setup it's overspend file the minimal weight I usually carry. On the beach for 60 miles each way at Padre national seashores it felt great cycling the suspension at 40-50mph, but I intentionally overloaded with extra tools to soften it for the girlfriend. I'd love to have some better springs, as my setup is based on keeping the springs contained and 850j/863 is the shortest OME I can run. I've even thought about going back to stock springs and spacers, as they are almost as tall without the spacer.

Back to the OP's original topic, 2.0 fox with reservoir keep up while pushed for hours at $800 is for all 4.

The only 2.0s I have used that I would recommend are the ICON stage 1's, 670mm [26.5"] long, front and rear, valved nicely, suit a vehicle up to around 7000# .

Best bang for your buck 2.0 set up IMHO.

The other "OE" style 2.0 manufacturers I have tried all are acceptable for an elderly gentleman who wants "factory ride" on a stock truck, which also sucks.

2.5's are a whole new ballgame, and valved correctly work extremely well on an 80, especially a heavy 80.

For a 2-3" lift, I would save longer for these with CDC over any 2.0.
91-97 Land Cruiser [80 Series] Performance Shocks System Stage 3

Add CDC from the ICONS, which uses a second piston in the resi, and valve stack, rather than a pintle style adjuster which ups line pressures massively, and you can tune to suit more or less weight, and the way the valving works, the ride is more like 15-20 psi in the tyres on the sharp road bumps, but really soaks up the big stuff. The hose coming manifolded off the body also helps, with the full valving of the shock in the last part of the up travel making for a built in bump zone inside the shock.

It will sit flatter, nose dive alot less, be smooth on the bumpy stuff, and give the bump stops a good rest on the big stuff if you drive it like its stolen.

10006960_945414732159119_1322567400279816437_n_zpsjfzb82fx.jpg

We have used, had custom made, imported, and built pretty much every major brand of shock from our shop, OE, Pre runner, and Race series, and after beginning to use the Icons, we went to Icon only, because of the way they work, the product, and the ability to make what we want for our market as well.

Icon make alot of custom stuff for us, for our market, mainly Cruisers, our slinky long travels with tapered wire, sway bar links, spacers etc as a bolt in, uses a 12" stroke front and rear, to suit trucks up to 9500# in a 28" front and 29" rear ext length with install kit.

One of those moments where you meet with companies, try products, and end up being able to sell what you do because its the best you can get, rather than all you can get.

I have just installed custom coil overs and bypasses in mine, took a friend for a hell ride last night, with jumps, spoon drains at 45 degree angle turning off the road, at 50 mph, rough train line service road potholed wheel tracks etc, after getting it dialled in.

I think he liked it.

He has stage 1 icons in his 80.

Screenshot_2015-09-25-18-46-20_zpsssq6xi10.png

worwgn%20coil%20over%20front_zpsl1gvlnlf.jpg

11068019_958108520889740_6304967227245834708_n_zps7yxb1vf1.jpg

They flex ok too.
11800354_1011288265549931_2897886638522581055_n_zpsooiyvwgq.jpg

James,

I have some Dobinson MRR (Monotube Remote Resi) Shocks, that I had valved in AU specifically for my rig. Unfortuantely, due to someone beign trigger happy with a drill I only have 3 and I am waiting for another shock to be made in AU and shipped so I can install them on my rig. Dobinson in AU can't seem to keep these shocks in stock. But I will be the first one in USA to have them a set of Dobinson MRR shocks. I am working with Dobinson to bring a new set of suspension offerings to the US. Pricing is very competitve and you will be surprised as to how overkill the products are.. So Stay tuned.. !!!

And for your viewing amazement, if you want to see what happens to a shock when its drilled into. My Toyota Parts search Expedition

IMG_2004.JPG
IMG_2005.JPG
IMG_2006.JPG

The only 2.0s I have used that I would recommend are the ICON stage 1's, 670mm [26.5"] long, front and rear, valved nicely, suit a vehicle up to around 7000# .

Best bang for your buck 2.0 set up IMHO.

The other "OE" style 2.0 manufacturers I have tried all are acceptable for an elderly gentleman who wants "factory ride" on a stock truck, which also sucks.

2.5's are a whole new ballgame, and valved correctly work extremely well on an 80, especially a heavy 80.

For a 2-3" lift, I would save longer for these with CDC over any 2.0.
91-97 Land Cruiser [80 Series] Performance Shocks System Stage 3

Add CDC from the ICONS, which uses a second piston in the resi, and valve stack, rather than a pintle style adjuster which ups line pressures massively, and you can tune to suit more or less weight, and the way the valving works, the ride is more like 15-20 psi in the tyres on the sharp road bumps, but really soaks up the big stuff. The hose coming manifolded off the body also helps, with the full valving of the shock in the last part of the up travel making for a built in bump zone inside the shock.

It will sit flatter, nose dive alot less, be smooth on the bumpy stuff, and give the bump stops a good rest on the big stuff if you drive it like its stolen.

10006960_945414732159119_1322567400279816437_n_zpsjfzb82fx.jpg

We have used, had custom made, imported, and built pretty much every major brand of shock from our shop, OE, Pre runner, and Race series, and after beginning to use the Icons, we went to Icon only, because of the way they work, the product, and the ability to make what we want for our market as well.

Icon make alot of custom stuff for us, for our market, mainly Cruisers, our slinky long travels with tapered wire, sway bar links, spacers etc as a bolt in, uses a 12" stroke front and rear, to suit trucks up to 9500# in a 28" front and 29" rear ext length with install kit.

One of those moments where you meet with companies, try products, and end up being able to sell what you do because its the best you can get, rather than all you can get.

I have just installed custom coil overs and bypasses in mine, took a friend for a hell ride last night, with jumps, spoon drains at 45 degree angle turning off the road, at 50 mph, rough train line service road potholed wheel tracks etc, after getting it dialled in.

I think he liked it.

He has stage 1 icons in his 80.

Screenshot_2015-09-25-18-46-20_zpsssq6xi10.png

worwgn%20coil%20over%20front_zpsl1gvlnlf.jpg

11068019_958108520889740_6304967227245834708_n_zps7yxb1vf1.jpg

They flex ok too.
11800354_1011288265549931_2897886638522581055_n_zpsooiyvwgq.jpg

Dear sweet little infant baby Jesus, I am foaming at the mouth for Icons now! Thanks for posting! This helps me a ton. I've been going round and round on which way to go for suspension.

Damn you boys in Oz must have to really get through some $#!+ for those groceries. And while driving on the wrong side of the road. :flipoff2:

Frank you truly are the FJZ80 parts warrior! Any idea on cost for these? Like I said before Icon Stage 2's at $2k are just way beyond my budget so FOX was my next choice for a bit less than half of the ICONs

Very interested Frank. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom