Builds 80 Build in 365 days (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks TomOsborne!

Yes this was my first attempt at welding. I had someone help with tacking the rear bumper and then get me started but I just watched a bunch of youtube videos and dove right it. My first welds were pretty ugly and slow but I was surprised how quick I was able to get the hang of it and put a good weld down relatively fast. By the time I got to my front bumper I was able to tack and weld the entire thing in just a couple of evenings. The grinding on the other hand took a good couple of more evenings though.

A buddy of mine has a pipe bender so he helped me with the bending. We just left them long on both ends so when I got back to my shop I cut them to length and notched them.

That is F Tastic! Great work and good on you. That is what I want to do. Ive got my hands full with some basic crap but someday.... Thanks for posting.

I am impressed! What type of welder did you use? I am thinking about buying one but I am still trying to figure out what to get since I don't know how to weld either.
Thank you. It is a Lincoln Invertec v350-pro. We have a fab shop that is welding all day so it is definitely a high end welder. Not necessary for an at home unit. I know a lot of people on here use one of the the Hobart units.

That is F Tastic! Great work and good on you. That is what I want to do. Ive got my hands full with some basic crap but someday.... Thanks for posting.
No problem at all and thanks for the compliments.

Thank you. It is a Lincoln Invertec v350-pro. We have a fab shop that is welding all day so it is definitely a high end welder. Not necessary for an at home unit. I know a lot of people on here use one of the the Hobart units.
The Hobart seems to be the one everyone says is solid. That is my plan for this fall.

What fab shop do you use? Do they custom work for the public?

What fab shop do you use? Do they custom work for the public?
I work for a fire sprinkler contracter and we fabricate pipe for our systems. We have a welder and plasma and some other equipment but the biggest advantage is just to have the space to work.

New Radflo 2.5 Remote Res Shocks! I installed these a couple weeks ago and I can't believe how huge of a difference these have made. I have seen pictures of 80's being flung into the air and could never comprehend these pigs flying but now I would not hesitate if I had a good jump and decent transition to push the skinny pedal just enough to send my 80 off the ground. It is crazy impressive what a difference good shocks make. I knew this from the start and I was hoping my OME shocks would be sufficient but after having Icon shocks in the past on my Tundra, 4Runner, and Tacoma I knew my 80 would have so much more potential with good shocks. Best upgrade so far!

I'll post some pics of the shocks installed soon.

Resized_20170915_153805001.jpeg

Resized_20170915_205948001.jpeg

Metal Tech gave me a great deal on these as I also bought Icon's for my Tacoma at the same time. The Radflo's delivered were just under $1500. I am sure that sounds crazy to some but to be honest I really didn't care to drive my 80 before because It felt so harsh. Now I use any excuse to drive it and look for the rough lines as still can't believe how smooth it is. That alone makes the spendy shocks very much worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom